Resigned from TFA mid-cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
st06

New

Resigned from TFA mid-cycle

Post by st06 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:15 pm

I know this is gonna bring a lot of hate from this forum, but there are a lot of wise souls out here, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

For reasons that have been swelling since I accepted my position with TFA in January, I finally resigned from TFA recently. Long story short, while I think the org has a lot of amazing things going for it, I simply don't agree with the model/philosophy. I will be staying with my school as a classroom volunteer for the remainder of the school year hopefully to minimize the definite damage I am causing to my students' education.

What I need advice on is this: I applied to law schools in September with the original intention of deferring admission if accepted so that I could complete my 2-yr TFA commitment. However, this no longer applies. I have already heard back from a couple places. For those schools (and those who are still reviewing my application), how do I go about informing them of my resignation?

If you want to tell me I'm a terrible person, that's fine too haha

nothingtosee

Silver

Re: Resigned from TFA mid-cycle

Post by nothingtosee » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:25 pm

I don't have any advice for you, but overall teacher attrition of first years (all teachers, not TFA) is 9%. I'm sure it's much higher in failing schools - so you aren't an abominable monster or moral weakling. If someone wants to hate on you from their senior year seminar, YOLO.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:25 pm

minimizing damage to kids is still damaging kids

LSL

Gold

Post by LSL » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:53 pm

If the schools already know you were planning to do TFA for the two years, I'd maybe write up a short addendum that says what you did here (You think the program has a lot of things going for it, but you ultimately didn't feel you agreed with their approach to education and had to leave). I'd emphasize that you recognized you needed to take ownership of leaving, so you agreed to stay on as a classroom volunteer until the end of your first year.

Not going to say quitting couldn't work against you in your application cycle, but you'll have to own up to it if the schools already know. The biggest thing to remember will be that there could be (slim chance) TFA grads reviewing your application or people who like TFA who are reviewing your application, so (1) don't go out of your way to trash the program and (2) reiterate that you're seeing the year out as a volunteer.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:09 pm

This sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I know two girls in my 1L class here at Yale who quit TFA halfway through, so it didn't kill their chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:10 pm

It's just a year, why not finish it up?

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 pm

nothingtosee wrote:I don't have any advice for you, but overall teacher attrition of first years (all teachers, not TFA) is 9%. I'm sure it's much higher in failing schools - so you aren't an abominable monster or moral weakling. If someone wants to hate on you from their senior year seminar, YOLO.

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:48 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:It's just a year, why not finish it up?
It's just a 23 mile marathon and you're passed out at the 10 mile mark, despite being physically and mentally able to only complete 9 miles - why not just finish up? Weakling!

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:49 pm

mephistopheles wrote:minimizing damage to kids is still damaging kids
You don't give the kids enough credit - they'll manage losing one teacher out of the thirty or so they're likely to have over their high school career.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xRON MEXiCOx

Diamond

Post by xRON MEXiCOx » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:56 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
It's just a 23 mile marathon and you're passed out at the 10 mile mark, despite being physically and mentally able to only complete 9 miles - why not just finish up? Weakling!
Yea, two totally comparable situations.

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Glad you agree.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:03 pm

As a current urban public school teacher, I know that feel bro. But just a word of advice: I can imagine the schools you are applying to will go with someone who stuck it out who has similar numbers over you. If that choice ever comes up. So you better make a damn good explanation OR don't ask don't tell.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Ron Mexico wrote:
KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Especially because marathons aren't 23 miles.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:50 pm

wiz wrote:
Ron Mexico wrote:
KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Especially because marathons aren't 23 miles.
He's not teaching PE, OK!?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”