Are Letters and Evaluations the Same? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
warandpeace

Bronze

Are Letters and Evaluations the Same?

Post by warandpeace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:32 pm

I have one professor who has done an evaluation instead of a letter of rec for me. Should I ask for a letter, or is an evaluation fine?

Balthy

Silver

Re: Are Letters and Evaluations the Same?

Post by Balthy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Evaluations are not required and, moreover, not very valuable without comments. Letters (usually 2) are required.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:53 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:Evaluations are not required and, moreover, not very valuable without comments. Letters (usually 2) are required.
Yep, most schools don't care much about the evals. They rank you from 1-10. Guess what everyone gets.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Quick follow up question, will it matter if my two letters are from 1 professor and 1 administrator/advisor (non-professor)? Or should I ask that evaluator (a professor) to write me a letter as well?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 pm

warandpeace wrote:Quick follow up question, will it matter if my two letters are from 1 professor and 1 administrator/advisor (non-professor)? Or should I ask that evaluator (a professor) to write me a letter as well?
I doubt it'll matter. An advisor can be a decent choice, especially if they can write a more personal letter than another professor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 am

warandpeace wrote:Quick follow up question, will it matter if my two letters are from 1 professor and 1 administrator/advisor (non-professor)? Or should I ask that evaluator (a professor) to write me a letter as well?

So you mean administrative advisor and not someone like a thesis advisor? I've heard many adcoms say a TA or thesis advisor who knows you well is better than a prof who doesn't, but I don't know if that would extend to administrative advisors (people who just help with choosing classes, graduating on time, etc., right?).

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:25 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:

So you mean administrative advisor and not someone like a thesis advisor? I've heard many adcoms say a TA or thesis advisor who knows you well is better than a prof who doesn't, but I don't know if that would extend to administrative advisors (people who just help with choosing classes, graduating on time, etc., right?).
Yea, if it's the latter, that won't be too useful of a letter. They really need to be in a position to evaluate your academic work.

The exception to this would be if you were in a ridiculously difficult major and didn't shy from the hard classes, thus resulting in a lower GPA. You can sometimes get a decently effective letter written by someone in that capacity talking about the rigorous nature of your course load, comparing you to the average student/in that major. You can't say that stuff yourself, and it won't change your GPA, but it can sometimes help put things in context without you saying it yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”