LORs - 2 work + 1 school, or 2 school + 1 work Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johnmuir1

New

LORs - 2 work + 1 school, or 2 school + 1 work

Post by johnmuir1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:31 pm

I got my academic LORs when I graduated and have two ready to go. I also added one LOR from my manager at my previous job.

My question is this: should I bother getting one from my current employer? And if so, is it better to submit two from work (which would be more recent LORs) and one from school or the other way around?

I've been working for 3 years now and I suspect my current employer could write me a good LOR.

Thanks in advance!

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: LORs - 2 work + 1 school, or 2 school + 1 work

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 pm

To the extent schools care about LORs at all, they care about academic LORs. If one of your employment LORs meaningfully illuminates (positive) things about you that don't show up elsewhere in your app, then submit it as a third LORs. If the employment LORs are full of generic, boilerplate praise, you're better off without them.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm in a similar boat, though I had to reach back to get my academic LORs. That being said, I would use the two academic and the employer as a third (use whichever employer is more relevant to your goals and/or has the best things to say).

johnmuir1

New

Post by johnmuir1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:42 pm

That's what I thought. Nothing new from my current employer (maybe slightly mor tailored than my academic but otherwise neglible). Thanks for the affirmation!

jordan15

Bronze

Post by jordan15 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:31 pm

The only situation where 2 work LORs would be better is if those employers were lawyers who would write something along the lines of how you are superior to every other pre law employee and that they would love to hire you back once you graduate. That would be great.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”