Help me pick my LORs? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nothingspecialhere

New

Help me pick my LORs?

Post by nothingspecialhere » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:08 pm

-
Last edited by nothingspecialhere on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastsamurai

Silver

Re: Help me pick my LORs?

Post by lastsamurai » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 pm

It will depend which schools you are applying to after you receive your score. I think 1 and 2 sound pretty similar, so probably go with 2 if it reads better. I wouldn't submit 3 unless a school requires at least 2 academic letters. Obviously submit 4 to everywhere and probably 5 as well

Iroh

Bronze

Post by Iroh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm

You don't say where you are applying, but as far as I know all schools in the T-14 except for Northwestern, NYU, and Berkeley want at least 2 academic LORs. If anyone has more knowledge, feel free to correct me, but as far as I know the fact that some of these internships were taken for class credit does not qualify them as academic LORs, and does not substantially alter their importance. So it sounds like you are going to have to send in #3 and #4 regardless if that's where you are aiming. If they allow up to 3, I would definitely send in #5, and if they allow up to 4, I would send in #2 as well.

EDIT: Some schools will allow you more leeway with professional LORs if you've been out of school for a long time(and Columbia actually requires a letter from your employer if you're working full time), but since all you've mentioned are internships you're going to be stuck with #3.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Iroh wrote:You don't say where you are applying, but as far as I know all schools in the T-14 except for Northwestern, NYU, and Berkeley want at least 2 academic LORs.
This. Schools, for the most part, want academic letters. Right now, you only have 2 letters that would qualify as academic letters. If 3 is bad, I'd start asking around for another one.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Iroh wrote:You don't say where you are applying, but as far as I know all schools in the T-14 except for Northwestern, NYU, and Berkeley want at least 2 academic LORs. If anyone has more knowledge, feel free to correct me, but as far as I know the fact that some of these internships were taken for class credit does not qualify them as academic LORs, and does not substantially alter their importance. So it sounds like you are going to have to send in #3 and #4 regardless if that's where you are aiming. If they allow up to 3, I would definitely send in #5, and if they allow up to 4, I would send in #2 as well.

EDIT: Some schools will allow you more leeway with professional LORs if you've been out of school for a long time(and Columbia actually requires a letter from your employer if you're working full time), but since all you've mentioned are internships you're going to be stuck with #3.
I don't see it stated anywhere in Columbia's LSAC application sequence that they require a LOR from your employer if you're working full-time. On what are you basing your assertion of that requirement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:I don't see it stated anywhere in Columbia's LSAC application sequence that they require a LOR from your employer if you're working full-time. On what are you basing your assertion of that requirement?
It's in the instructions.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Well I feel sheepish. I completely glossed over the "is required" part of the sentence and read it solely as "may replace one of the two faculty letters."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”