. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:38 am

Last edited by kimkardashian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Gold

Re: Is it okay to only have two letters of recommendation?

Post by hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am

This is perfectly acceptable. LORs have very little effect on the outcome of your admissions cycle as a general rule.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 am

Last edited by kimkardashian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:02 pm

kimkardashian wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:This is perfectly acceptable. LORs have very little effect on the outcome of your admissions cycle as a general rule.
Thank you. I was feeling nervous because I watched a webinar and went to a panel with law school admission officers from NYU, Harvard, UMich, and Chicago and they were all talking about how important they were, and I wasn't sure if that was actually true.
Admissions officers say things like this to create the illusion that the process is not 99% numbers based. In reality, your GPA/LSAT will be all that matters.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:23 pm

It's not quite true that LORs are worthless. Based on my understanding, a bad LOR will sink you at many places, but those are rare. Beyond that, they really just matter at Yale, where you should really have two academic letters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:41 pm

midwest17 wrote:It's not quite true that LORs are worthless. Based on my understanding, a bad LOR will sink you at many places, but those are rare. Beyond that, they really just matter at Yale, where you should really have two academic letters.
It would have to be really bad. Like, revealing something you obviously left out of your application on purpose. Other than that, a neutral LOR (one that many would consider 'bad') is not going to hurt all that much, if at all.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm

midwest17 wrote:It's not quite true that LORs are worthless. Based on my understanding, a bad LOR will sink you at many places, but those are rare. Beyond that, they really just matter at Yale, where you should really have two academic letters.
Yep - they're more disqualifiers at most places than qualifiers. Because they all read almost exactly the same.

That being said, selecting good ones can help your application by having equally strong letters to the rest of the application. You shouldn't agonize over the LoRs, but you should put some thought into them.

*Yale being the most obvious exception.
Last edited by bp shinners on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:53 pm

True, but it does not sound like OP has these issues. Good point though.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm

altoid99 wrote:It would have to be really bad. Like, revealing something you obviously left out of your application on purpose. Other than that, a neutral LOR (one that many would consider 'bad') is not going to hurt all that much, if at all.
Yeah, I meant objectively bad, as in it's no longer really a letter of recommendation, because they say "I can't recommend this person for law school."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”