C&F Issue? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
arkgawilson

Bronze

C&F Issue?

Post by arkgawilson » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:14 am

Hi. I definitely appreciate any thoughts anyone has regarding this. I am a little nervous regarding C&F.

1) (The lesser, I believe) includes two speeding tickets (1 year apart). No other criminal/civil charges.... Would I also include offenses where I took defensive driving and those were subsequently not put onto my record? To be honest, I only have the information for the 2 offenses where I paid fines, that is why I ask.

2) This issue I will have to de-identify a little bit, but here it goes. When I was 20, I worked for a Fortune 500 company (not to be named), and I worked a weird schedule (friday-sunday). Because of this, and because I worked at the home office doing a paper pushing position, I was often bored. One day as I was bored I came across a file on the shared drive (anyone could access these files). In the file was information for a distribution center employees, broken down by gender, race, etc., and what they made $$ wise, what their eval scores were, etc.

Needless to say, race and gender and all of that had a negative impact on their status within the company. I was shocked to find this in a public file that any home office employee could see, and at the time really liked the company I worked for (despite those obvious issues) so I e-mailed myself the file from my work e-mail to my home e-mail to report it (note: the company has an anonymous system that lets you file complaints, things of this nature, with a no retribution policy). I had only e-mailed it to myself to send it on. However, the next week (not even kidding on this one), I was involved in an investigation in which a female employee (despite me being gay) claimed I had sexually harassed her by tapping on her shoulder to ask her a question while she had headphones in. Well, the investigations at this company are no joke, and included 2 VP's, 2 HR managers, a tape recorder, and a long series of questions about how often I touch employees....Crazy. Needless to say, this incident changed my view of the company, and I totally forgot about that file I had sent to myself, it was the last thing on my mind.

FF a few months and I give notice to go work for a competitor, and they do the usual checking of your files, and they discover that I had sent that file to myself. I'm receiving phone calls from their attorneys, I'm having to get my attorney involved..big mess. Needless to say, I let them search my personal laptop (and later my Blackberry) to prove that I had not sent the file to anyone, other than one fellow colleague in the department who also did not report the file. My status was changed from re-hire to non-rehirable, gross misconduct.

TL;DR- 2 traffic citations, non-rehirable at a fortune 500 company for gross misconduct

I'm wondering what I should disclose (or not) about the incident on the C&F portions of my applications, having signed a non-disclosure agreement about the materials, etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

bp shinners

Gold

Re: C&F Issue?

Post by bp shinners » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:45 pm

Keep in touch with your attorney and ask him these questions when you get the relevant language from the applications themselves.

john1990

Silver

Re: C&F Issue?

Post by john1990 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 am

If you quit it shouldn't come up as being fired even though your not rehirable. Which section are you worried that this issue will be a problem? Specific questions may or may not cover these events. Either way it is likely not a great concern. Was there a criminal case?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”