Social Security Numbers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tigersaresexy

Bronze

Social Security Numbers

Post by tigersaresexy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:17 am

I'm a non-US citizen, but I have a SSN. I didn't put it in when I registered with the LSAC (I don't remember if it was optional of if they didn't want one from non-citizens) so they gave me another number to use for apps.

The whole thing has been pretty confusing for me lately, so I have a couple questions

- Do I need to put it down when I take the LSAT this weekend? Should I put down my real one or my LSAC one? Can I just skip it?
- When a school asks for my social, sometimes it has my LSAC social pre-filled and sometimes I can fill it up myself. What should I do in these situations? Should I fill out my real or my LSAC one?
- Is it worth contacting LSAC and attempting to change it right now? Is it even possible? Or can I just use this fake number for the entire application process and pretend like I don't have one at all. I'm mainly worried about trouble and confusion down the road, like when I take the bar or something.

I'm not sure if this is something I need to be worried about or not, any thoughts?

BruinRegents

Bronze

Re: Social Security Numbers

Post by BruinRegents » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:03 am

Call LSAC.

armysgt

New

Re: Social Security Numbers

Post by armysgt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:49 pm

Here is the response I got from LSAC when I asked them waaay back about whether I should use my SSN, since I never really used it beyond a part-time job I had for like 2 months:

"You are not required to list your SSN/SIN in your account if you prefer not to. If you do not wish to provide your SSN/SIN when you register, a number is assigned to you in place of the SSN/SIN and all assigned numbers begin with 999. The number is on your ticket because you will need to enter it on your answer sheet on the day of the exam. You will also use this number on your law school applications when asked for your SSN/SIN." [bold print mine]

But I never really thought about confusion down the road...didn't think it'll really matter all that much. Can you let me know if you find out more?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”