GULC Group Interview Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Humbert Humbert

Bronze

GULC Group Interview

Post by Humbert Humbert » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Got an email invitation from GULC to participate in a group interview. First, um, what is a group interview? Second, how important is this (considering I would have to miss work for it)? Third, anyone else get this/planning on attending?
Last edited by Humbert Humbert on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notalobbyist

Bronze

Re: GULC Group Interview

Post by notalobbyist » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:33 pm

I've done a group interview for an internship once before. Basically, they set us up in a conference room and would aska question like "what makes you uniquely qualified," and then we would go around in a circle taking turns on who would reply first to a given question. Giving a stock BS answer sounds even more lame when 2 people before you already gave it (yes some people did not seem to think that was an issue, no they did not get the position). Also, everyone would try to one-up each other on questions like "what is your greatest challenge" to the point where it was clear people were playing up their sob stories.

Basically what got it for me was: I stood out, didn't imitate others, and wasn't get overly influenced by the answers of others. Don't let the format throw you and you'll be fine.

Hope somebody else can answer the other two questions for you.

fringles

New

Post by fringles » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:45 pm

do it. its important, especially if you think you could end up at georgetown with less than "an offer you cant refuse". in my experience, its meant to weed out the highly qualified candidates from the not so highly qualified. go and do well and youll be offered admission and good $$. dont go at all and youll probably be wl'd. georgetown is shifty like that. take away is: if youre at all serious about going, do the interview. if its a safety, maybe a waste of time, as you can always make your case to georgetown later if you really want to go and theyll likely be all ears

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Got an email invitation from GULC to participate in a group interview in New York. First, um, what is a group interview? Second, how important is this (considering I would have to miss work for it)? Third, anyone else get this/planning on attending?
You will be meeting with Dean of Admissions Andrew Cornblatt in a room that is within a large law firms office that gave him enough time to do two half an hour sessions.
You will be in a group ranging in size between 8 and 16 people, all just like you. From my own experience, Dean Cornblatt was a warm man and the experience was not nearly as dreadful as I imagined it would be.

My experience was divided into two parts, each taking 15 minutes or so.

Dean Cornblatt split the group into smaller groups of 4 or so and gave us a hypothetical that included being in a law school admissions department and figuring out how you would shape your next potential class, then we would return to the table and he would ask each group to present what they came up with.

Dean Cornblatt then brought us back into the larger group and presented us with hypothetical applicants that had various problems, like C&F issues, and he called on us individually to speak on whether or not we would admit them and why.

Then it ended and I'm sure everyone in my group was was admitted soon after. I assumed that if I were invited, I was already in good standing because they were showing interest and it was a chance for me to secure admittance. If it were otherwise, they would have just dinged me.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:06 pm

This was mentioned at a GULC info session I went to. It sounds like Harry Belafonte's describing the typical experience, except that the topic of discussion may be different. Basically, it sounds like the point is to get the group discussing something to see how they handle group interaction, not to just ask the same questions you would get in a one-on-one interview like notalobbyist is describing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:52 am

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound too bad. Guess I probably should go.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am

I already got into Georgetown last year; is there any point in me going to this? I hate interviews..

Harry Belafonte

New

Post by Harry Belafonte » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:22 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I already got into Georgetown last year; is there any point in me going to this? I hate interviews..
Will you go?

jshaffer740

New

Post by jshaffer740 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I already got into Georgetown last year; is there any point in me going to this? I hate interviews..
If you hate interviews then I would definitely go. It will help you get over your hatred of interviews and provide practice for OCI and call backs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:58 pm

jshaffer740 wrote:
If you hate interviews then I would definitely go. It will help you get over your hatred of interviews and provide practice for OCI and call backs.
Hm, this is a good point.

elastigirl

New

Post by elastigirl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:54 am

I wonder if a group interview is a good sign. What types of candidates do they offer it to?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”