??????NEED ADVISE ON WHEN TO APPLY????? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iGuy

New

??????NEED ADVISE ON WHEN TO APPLY?????

Post by iGuy » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Hi guys,

I can't decide When to Apply to Law Schools 2014 or 2015.

I graduated this past summer with bachelors in finance 3.74 GPA. My CC GPA was 3.44; now I just found out that they will actually count my CC GPA as well, this has upset me greatly as you can tell. Anyhow, I'm just beginning my LSAT prep course (Princeton) and hopefully I will be ready for Feb 8th LSAT.

If I score the LSAT in the 165 range I have a choice of EITHER barely making it in for March 1 application deadlines and hopefully getting accepted at Wake or UNC OR Not to rush and wait until June LSAT to ensure a better score and early admission advantage, but that will put me at 2 years of unnecessary wait. I do have a full time job now as a financial analyst and this doesn't make things any easier.

So what do you think are the benefits of either cramming everything in and barely making in with the deadlines or wait an extra year? (keep in mind in extremely anxious to go to law school, not a big fond of my present job and on top of all that I'm already deferring LS 1 year as it is, so it seems like 2 years would be a stretch).

In case I do decide to wait for an extra year of wait, is it true that LSAC folks will not weigh my CC GPA as Heavily as they would now and instead focus more on my 2 year university GPA ? Another benefit would be some gained experience in my undergrad field of study.

Okay now I need some thoughts and advise please !!! PRO's CON's ??? THANKS!!

AT9

Gold

Re: ??????NEED ADVISE ON WHEN TO APPLY?????

Post by AT9 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Pros to waiting a cycle:
Medians may be even lower, giving you better options
You can save up $ and gain some real world work experience
Not as much stress from trying to cram everything in
Get to apply early

Cons to waiting a cycle
You have to wait 12 more months to attend law school beyond what you already are (which is really a pro in disguise, as listed above)

Seems like an easy choice to me; I will have been out for three years by the time I enter, and I don't see anything but benefits to those three years. Take the time to maximize your LSAT potential and enjoy earning money while you can.
Last edited by AT9 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 pm

1. Delay, get a better score.

2. Waiting two years after college to go to law school is not at all abnormal.

3. Your GPA will be calculated exactly the same whether you apply this cycle or in 20 years. It's set in stone now that you've graduated with your bachelors. Schools may put less weight on it the longer you wait to apply, but 1 year vs 2 years is not going to make a difference.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Worst thing I ever did was rush. Cost me a cycle of retakes. Take it in June, come back then.

Also, improve your English. >_>

BruinRegents

Bronze

Post by BruinRegents » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:51 pm

iGuy wrote:Hi guys,

I can't decide when to apply to law schools 2014 or 2015.

I graduated this past summer with bachelors in finance 3.74 GPA. My CC GPA was 3.44; now I just found out that they will actually count my CC GPA as well, this has upset me greatly as you can tell. Anyhow, I'm just beginning my LSAT prep course (Princeton) and hopefully I will be ready for Feb 8th LSAT.

If I score the LSAT in the 165 range I have a choice of EITHER barely making it in for March 1 application deadlines and hopefully getting accepted at Wake or UNC OR Not to rush and wait until June LSAT to ensure a better score and early admission advantage, but that will put me at 2 years of unnecessary wait. I do have a full time job now as a financial analyst and this doesn't make things any easier.

So what do you think are the benefits of either cramming everything in and barely making in with the deadlines or wait an extra year? (keep in mind in extremely anxious to go to law school, not a big fond of my present job and on top of all that I'm already deferring LS 1 year as it is, so it seems like 2 years would be a stretch).

In case I do decide to wait for an extra year of wait, is it true that LSAC folks will not weigh my CC GPA as Heavily as they would now and instead focus more on my 2 year university GPA ? Another benefit would be some gained experience in my undergrad field of study.

Okay now I need some thoughts and advise please !!! PRO's CON's ??? THANKS!!
You didn't know the bolded?

Which weighs more: Waiting or Not Waiting? That should lead you to your desired answer choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 pm

!!!!!!YOU SHOULD RETAKE THE LSAT!!!!!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Wait a cycle and retake until you hit a 170. Easy decision.

iGuy

New

Post by iGuy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:33 pm

I appreciate all the input guys. I am definitely going to wait now :) looks like I will have a much better chance of getting into a good school. I was just really anxious to get it over with and move on with my law career, so a thought of waiting additional 2 years sort of discouraged me.

I do want to open up my own practice sometime down the road, anybody has any pros & cons of that ? How hard could it be ?
I actually have a friend who's an attorney, after opening his own law firm in just a matter of 3 years he has 2 offices (one of them paid out) and 3 paralegals. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”