What's the deal with downward trends? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
clay7676

Bronze

What's the deal with downward trends?

Post by clay7676 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:04 pm

What's going on here? Can someone help explain this concept to me? My classes have gotten significantly more difficult from my freshman year to my now second semester junior year. I'm expecting a couple of B's, and I don't see how that is something that requires an addendum. Isn't a curriculum supposed to be somewhat more challenging as time progresses? And thus, shouldn't some B's be expected? Confused, concerned, help!

Thanks.

butt-head

New

Re: What's the deal with downward trends?

Post by butt-head » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm

lol
don't write an addendum unless you have a legitimate excuse. "my curriculum became more challenging" is not a legitimate excuse.

clay7676

Bronze

Post by clay7676 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:09 pm

I understand that. My question is why should one be needed in the first place? I don't see it as an excuse, rather something that is natural, thus there not being a problem. Or is it just commonplace that freshmen get bad grades and need to do better or else they have some explaining to do

jptw88

New

Post by jptw88 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Continue to do the best you can. Yes, an upward trend is more preferable but your LSAT score will ultimately determine where you'll be admitted for law school. The LSAT can save and applicant with Bs and break and applicant with four years of A's.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:21 pm

clay7676 wrote:Isn't a curriculum supposed to be somewhat more challenging as time progresses? And thus, shouldn't some B's be expected?
You're also supposed to be learning more and getting better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:31 am

Also, smaller upper-level classes are often graded not on a curve but as per the professor's discretion, so in these cases the grades tend to be more generous.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:50 pm

midwest17 wrote:
clay7676 wrote:Isn't a curriculum supposed to be somewhat more challenging as time progresses? And thus, shouldn't some B's be expected?
You're also supposed to be learning more and getting better.
This.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 pm

clay7676 wrote:What's going on here? Can someone help explain this concept to me? My classes have gotten significantly more difficult from my freshman year to my now second semester junior year. I'm expecting a couple of B's, and I don't see how that is something that requires an addendum. Isn't a curriculum supposed to be somewhat more challenging as time progresses? And thus, shouldn't some B's be expected? Confused, concerned, help!

Thanks.
Grades get more competitive and usually a smaller portion of the class receives A's in upper level classes

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:05 pm

clay7676 wrote:What's going on here? Can someone help explain this concept to me? My classes have gotten significantly more difficult from my freshman year to my now second semester junior year. I'm expecting a couple of B's, and I don't see how that is something that requires an addendum. Isn't a curriculum supposed to be somewhat more challenging as time progresses? And thus, shouldn't some B's be expected? Confused, concerned, help!

Thanks.
You definitely don't want to draw attention to any downward trend unless for something like a legit medical excuse/other extremely extenuating circumstances.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”