Toby Stock call Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
snap

New

Re: Toby Stock call

Post by snap » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:11 pm

What time did you get the call?

(still waiting on mine)

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Snap, I got an email the same day as you, and I just had my call like 20mins ago... so I imagine yours is coming up pretty soon.

And they go really fast so you will get say about 1/100th of the things you might be thinking of saying, and then feel like you sounded like an idiot afterwards... at least, if you're me :)

snap

New

Post by snap » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Aries,

Congrats on finishing the call! I'm sure it went great, and that a second call is forthcoming.

brokendowncar

Bronze

Post by brokendowncar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:16 pm

Aries wrote:Snap, I got an email the same day as you, and I just had my call like 20mins ago... so I imagine yours is coming up pretty soon.

And they go really fast so you will get say about 1/100th of the things you might be thinking of saying, and then feel like you sounded like an idiot afterwards... at least, if you're me :)
It was the exact same for me. I swear I thought of 100 things I should have said as soon as I hung up. I think it's fine though, because it isn't like he knows you had all those things to say and didn't.

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:36 pm

brokendowncar wrote: I think it's fine though, because it isn't like he knows you had all those things to say and didn't.
Haha, yeah that's the problem. Need the interview to boost my app, so everything I couldn't mention is one less thing that gets factored in. Oh well... it's probably all a numbers n'stats game anyway :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bennyblanco

New

Post by bennyblanco » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:50 pm

Sorry Toby
Last edited by bennyblanco on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Went complete in Nov... got email last week. So if your numbers are decent, there's absolutely no reason to stress at all if you wait a while for the call.

snap

New

Post by snap » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Just had the call.
Well, I'm certainly glad it's over with. He seemed like quite a nice guy, and of course I hope to have the chance to speak with him again!

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:04 pm

Ha! Told you :) Congrats! I'm sure you will be getting a second call in no time.

(In fact, your stats are better than mine so I really hope so)

This website is the most addictive thing ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:05 pm

When did you guys send in your apps?
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

snap

New

Post by snap » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:10 pm

10/14

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Phew. Ok then. G'luck!
Last edited by underdawg on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

goose22j

New

Post by goose22j » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:14 pm

what were your numbers, if you don't mind me asking. I'm just curious if I still have a chance at the email :-)

(173, 3.79, applied 10/30, complete 11/29)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snap

New

Post by snap » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:15 pm

174 3.87 complete 10/29

bennyblanco

New

Post by bennyblanco » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Oh, wow. So you went complete a long time ago. And just got the call.

I'd heard it was the other way around... whatever.

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 pm

bennyblanco wrote:Haven't gone complete yet, but haven't gotten a call either.

WTF? Numbers-wise, TBPH, I'd think they'd deem me a candidate worth looking into.
It's not a matter of looking into. A call is nearly tantamount to an acceptance, so your numbers need to be good enough to accept, not to "look into". Which isn't to say they aren't, they are right on the borderline, but you should realize you are saying, "Why the **** haven't they accepted me yet?"

bennyblanco

New

Post by bennyblanco » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:26 pm

That's not how I understood it. I was under the impression that the first call implied interest, and the second call was tantamount to acceptance.

If I'm wrong, fine. How you've leaped to the conclusion that it's somehow egotistical to believe your numbers are within the acceptable range is somewhat puzzling to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Goose, yes your numbers do not exclude the possibility of getting a call (of course I don't know what other factors are involved)

As evidence:
3.7/174 submitted sometime in mid/late October

I think benny's more on target with the first call- I think it's more interest, as not all people called get in (~1100 calls made), the second call is a definite in though (or they say).

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:39 pm

bennyblanco wrote:That's not how I understood it. I was under the impression that the first call implied interest, and the second call was tantamount to acceptance.

If I'm wrong, fine. How you've leaped to the conclusion that it's somehow egotistical to believe your numbers are within the acceptable range is somewhat puzzling to me.
The second call is literal acceptance. Almost everybody who gets the first call is accepted (85% or so, supposedly, but LSN doesn't seem to show really anybody called who didn't get accepted), although your chances are 100% early in the cycle and may drop afterwards.

I don't think it's egotistical in the least. I thought I would get a call, too (although I have better numbers). I am just saying you should just realize that not getting a call doesn't mean you are so bad you aren't even being considered, it just means you haven't been accepted yet.

goose22j

New

Post by goose22j » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 pm

thanks much for the info! I appreciate it

bennyblanco

New

Post by bennyblanco » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 pm

"I don't think it's egotistical in the least. I thought I would get a call, too (although I have better numbers)."

Mmm. That's a contentious claim... coming from a UCLA grad.

:roll:

And an individual who's comfortable with referring to other's LSAT scores as "disgustingly low."

Particularly when you've accused me of acting like I'm worthy of only the best, as a self-anointed "God."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I think it's some combination of the fact that
-Not all numbers are equal, I'm sure that they take at least a quick look at UG school, program difficulty etc...
-They get a lot of apps, so they probably pile up and it takes a long time to sort them out even if they are complete- especially at this time of the year

Hitachi

Bronze

Post by Hitachi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:57 pm

bennyblanco wrote:"I don't think it's egotistical in the least. I thought I would get a call, too (although I have better numbers)."

Mmm. That's a contentious claim... coming from a UCLA grad.

Particularly when you've accused me of acting like I'm worthy of only the best, as a self-anointed "God."
UChicago might get a boost and I am sure you have better ECs and are a more worthy candidate, but I am just saying that in a literal sense, my numbers are higher.

I admit I saw some chutzpa in your use of "WTF", considering no 176 with a GPA as low as yours has gotten in yet this cycle, so it's not like you could expect to be an autoadmit. To be hopeful and even confident is reasonable, but to be absolutely flabbergasted to the point of profanity that you haven't gotten in seems too much.

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Congrats to those getting calls!

For what it's worth, I believe Dean Stock makes ~1100 first-round calls. Of those, about ~850 or so are accepted via a second call. Nobody who is accepted does not go through a first-round call.

Aries

New

Post by Aries » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:17 pm

So hitachi, you gonna reveal these mysterious numbers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”