Applying to other schools during a deferral... ish Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Anon should

They won't find out, apply T6
No votes
YOLO, withdraw and reapply
33%
Don't be crazy, stick with the bird in hand
67%

Total votes: 3

anonwhymouse

New

Applying to other schools during a deferral... ish

Post by anonwhymouse » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Applied last cycle with a sub-par LSAT and got into a reasonable school for my numbers (think GULC, WUSTL, Northwestern). Retook in June and improved score by +10. Negotiated last minute and received a deferred full ride for C/O 2014. Pop the champagne, another TLS success story.

But... now I'm wondering if I should go for broke (literally and figuratively)

My new numbers put me in HYS range and definitely in at CCN.

If I apply to the T6 is any of that information shared in a way (and what is the likelihood) that it could come back to bite me. Also what is the ethics/standards ruling on this. Is it a big black mark or does it just make me an a$$hole? If anyone with experience on this would rather PM than post it on the boards that would also be much appreciated.

Please note that sitting out another year is not an option.

For obvious reasons I want to stay far away from self-identifying, so PM for details.

I'd also appreciate it if people don't quote me so I can self-destruct the thread after it's done.

Icculus

Silver

Re: Applying to other schools during a deferral... ish

Post by Icculus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:03 am

What were the restrictions of your deferral? If it is binding you can't reapply. If it is binding just for one year you need to sit out a year. Basically it all depends on what you agreed to.

ETA: This isn't something where you may just seem like a jerk, if you have a binding deferral and do this and other schools find out (which they probably will) or you lie about whether you have accepted an offer at another school (which you have) then you will most likely be black listed from any school you would want to attend. Not worth the risk.
Last edited by Icculus on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:10 am

Don't do it if it's binding.

anonwhymouse

New

Post by anonwhymouse » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 am

The wording on the agreement itself does not specify that it is binding, but I felt that there was an expectation that what I was agreeing to was binding during my conversation with the adcom. Although again this was not explicitly stated.

what to do what to do...

poke800ash

New

Post by poke800ash » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:05 am

anonwhymouse wrote:The wording on the agreement itself does not specify that it is binding, but I felt that there was an expectation that what I was agreeing to was binding during my conversation with the adcom. Although again this was not explicitly stated.

what to do what to do...
If you have to ask, the risk is too high for you to reapply, anyways $$$ for GULC .et al is a great deal and going to T6 with less scholly might not be worth it depending on your situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”