becoming a lawyer without law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thatswhatido

New

becoming a lawyer without law school

Post by thatswhatido » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello

I understand that in some states, it is possible to study with a licensed lawyer or judge to become a lawyer. I have been trying to find out more information about the application process, the requirements, etc. but I haven't found anything online.
The bar's website has literally 4 lines of information regarding this.

I just need to know what steps I have to take to start the process. Where is all the paperwork for this that I have to fill out?
what are the requirements for me? what are the requirements for the lawyer that sponsors me?
If someone has a step by step guide of what I need to do, I would appreciate it if they could let me know.

haus

Gold

Re: becoming a lawyer without law school

Post by haus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:49 pm

thatswhatido wrote:Hello

I understand that in some states, it is possible to study with a licensed lawyer or judge to become a lawyer. I have been trying to find out more information about the application process, the requirements, etc. but I haven't found anything online.

I just need to know what steps I have to take to start the process. Where is all the paperwork for this that I have to fill out?
what are the requirements for me? what are the requirements for the lawyer that sponsors me?
If someone has a step by step guide of what I need to do, I would appreciate it if they could let me know.
As I understand, such paths are rather rare now. Some states, (e.g. Virginia) allow someone to learn from a licensed attorney. But it seems like it would be a pain in the rear for the attorney. I suspect that it is set up this way intentionally to limit how many go down this path.

http://barexam.virginia.gov/reader/readermemo.html

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 pm

No one does this anymore because it is unlikely you'd ever get a job. People from top schools are struggling and you want to study under some unknown lawyer who may or may not even begin to properly train you? Not to mention, you want an attorney to give up 20+ billable hours each week to train you?

Also, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_law.

xylocarp

Platinum

Post by xylocarp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Sounds like a nice path for someone with a wealthy, generous lawyer parent who could afford to give up that kind of time and hire you after it's finished. Other than that, it would probably be tough to work out successfully.
Last edited by xylocarp on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr. wednesday

Bronze

Post by mr. wednesday » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:01 pm

xylocarp wrote:Sounds like a nice path for someone with a wealthy, generous lawyer parent who could afford to give up that kind of time and hire you after it's finished. Other than that, it would probably be tough to work out successfully.
If you have a wealthy, generous lawyer parent to hire you, you should just go to law school with a full ride somewhere and then work for your parent after you graduate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

t14splitter

Bronze

Post by t14splitter » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 pm

This policy is a vestigial remnant of a time where the bar exam constituted a group of men deciding if they like you.

In theory, some people could take a bar review course and study unbelievably hard over a period of months (or years) and pass the Bar. However, the people that are smart enough and dedicated enough to do that are probably already at law schools.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:22 pm

The only way I can conceivably see this making sense is if you have a successful business and you want to be able to do your own legal work. I'm sure there are probably a few things that only a lawyer can really do, maybe? And you would save money by being able to legally do it yourself as opposed to hiring someone? I guess? This still seems dumb, even if you don't intend for your "lawyer" status to lead to any employment/money.

Otherwise, there's no upside. No employer is going to hire you as an attorney without a degree from an actual school.

thatswhatido

New

Post by thatswhatido » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 pm

well, gee, thanks.
6 replies and not a single one answered my original question, which is "How do I get the paperwork started? What are all the requirements?"

RELIC

Bronze

Post by RELIC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

thatswhatido wrote:well, gee, thanks.
6 replies and not a single one answered my original question, which is "How do I get the paperwork started? What are all the requirements?"
Google it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+become+a+la ... law+school

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

What state are you in? State law determines if this is even possible.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:30 pm

You know, if you just want a simple answer to a question, Google is a great resource. Forums involve a discussion with other human beings who are not your personal information retrieval slaves and are allowed to sidetrack a bit.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Sorry to have troubled you.

Although if you would have looked at the link that I provided, you would have found on the right hand side the word 'Application'. HINT: this is the paperwork! Given your research skills and reading comprehension, you are well on your way to a stellar career.

:roll:

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Maybe you should tell us what fucking state you are in, or maybe you could develop a brain and call the fucking state bar assoc and ask them yourself unless that's too difficult for you and you think asking a forum ostensibly for prospective law school students is somehow a better idea.

Also whats wrong with google, or are you just too stupid to know how to use it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 pm

lol

MormonChristian

Bronze

Post by MormonChristian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 pm

thatswhatido wrote:Hello

Talk to Mike Ross. He is probably the most successful lawyer who ever did this. Normally the firm he works out only hires Harvard Law grads.

Buck Strickland

New

Post by Buck Strickland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:58 pm

^yes!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”