Questions about Resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoyOhBoyle

New

Questions about Resume

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi all,

I have a few questions about resumes, and they might be kind of dumb questions, sorry! :oops:

1) Should I include volunteer work? The template on the LSAC website doesn't include a heading for it, so I started to question...
2) If I have held 4 different serving/bartending jobs, do I really need to list them all? They are all essentially the same thing, and I don't want to take up precious space that could be used to list my volunteer work (if it is to be listed at all).
3) Should I include things that I have done that are not exactly volunteer work, but more like activist work (i.e. leafletting for a Vegan organization, passing out literature for PETA to protest a circus, things like that). I'm guessing I probably shouldn't, but maybe they could show that I am involved in the community and important causes??? :D

Thanks so much for your help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Connor Benz

Bronze

Re: Questions about Resume

Post by Connor Benz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:05 am

Disclaimer: I'm assuming you are applying to law school and my answers are based of this assumption

1) Yes you should. I did.
2) You do not need to list them all. My work experience on the lsac application to the law schools matched my resume. I tried to keep my resume a page, but it went over to a half of page. If I were you, just list it as one position and the date range:
ex:
Bartender/Server 2010-2013
Various Establishments
Details of the position(s)

3)
Include your activist work with the volunteer work. If you want to show your community involvement, then place it in the resume.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 am

Connor Benz wrote:Disclaimer: I'm assuming you are applying to law school and my answers are based of this assumption

1) Yes you should. I did.
2) You do not need to list them all. My work experience on the lsac application to the law schools matched my resume. I tried to keep my resume a page, but it went over to a half of page. If I were you, just list it as one position and the date range:
ex:
Bartender/Server 2010-2013
Various Establishments
Details of the position(s)

3)
Include your activist work with the volunteer work. If you want to show your community involvement, then place it in the resume.
I agree with this poster. Unless your bar tending experience is unusually impressive, it's better to use the space for volunteer/activist work than list 4 versions of the same job.

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:12 am

I agree with everyone. I don't know how you are Formatting Your Resume, but one of the best pieces of advice I have heard was that instead of separating your work history and volunteering you should combine them into a section and head it "Experience" it cuts down on unneeded space in adding a separate header.

BoyOhBoyle

New

Post by BoyOhBoyle » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Thank you all so much for your responses, this helps me out a lot! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”