Resume Gap/Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
longlivetheking

Bronze

Resume Gap/Question

Post by longlivetheking » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 am

I quit my job in july to focus on the LSAT. and I have nothing lined up but I plan to get a new job after the October LSAT. Do i address my plans as well as the 3 month-ish gap from Mid July to Oct? Do i just list my job till July and thats it, not addressing what I'm currently doing now?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

haus

Gold

Re: Resume Gap/Question

Post by haus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:23 am

I assume you plan on applying this cycle and that if you get into a school of your choice you will end up leaving whatever job you will be tacking on this Fall. If so, I would not bother in addressing this on your résumé or cover letter. If you are asked about I would explain your choice but not dwell on it.

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:26 am

haus wrote:I assume you plan on applying this cycle and that if you get into a school of your choice you will end up leaving whatever job you will be tacking on this Fall. If so, I would not bother in addressing this on your résumé or cover letter. If you are asked about I would explain your choice but not dwell on it.
I would like to continue a new job till next year July/August, but I'll only start searching AFTER the Oct LSAT. So just not mention it + not mention what I'm doing and only mention the job I had just quit?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:32 am

longlivetheking wrote:
haus wrote:I assume you plan on applying this cycle and that if you get into a school of your choice you will end up leaving whatever job you will be tacking on this Fall. If so, I would not bother in addressing this on your résumé or cover letter. If you are asked about I would explain your choice but not dwell on it.
I would like to continue a new job till next year July/August, but I'll only start searching AFTER the Oct LSAT. So just not mention it + not mention what I'm doing and only mention the job I had just quit?
Keep in mind, for most employers, less than one year is rather short term. Sure it happens all the time, but it is not a selling point in most cases. Hence, I would recommend not highlighting the notion that you do not intend to be interested in working for them in ~10 months. No need to lie about it, just focus on other things.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”