Cooley/Whittier/Suicide Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Cooley/Whittier/Suicide

Cooley
7%
Whittier
14%
Suicide
79%

Total votes: 14

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool

New

Cooley/Whittier/Suicide

Post by BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:56 pm

I only got into Cooley and Whittier law schools, I'm kind of depressed, but I figure I'm better off going to one of them than attempting to play the market with a history degree. Thoughts?
GPA 2.6 LSAT 153

wtrc

Gold

Re: Cooley/Whittier/Suicide

Post by wtrc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:02 pm

Not sure if this is a flame, I suspect yes, but regardless, don't go to either, wait a cycle, retake. Playing the market with a Cooley or Whittier degree, unless you have some kind of connections or family law firm or whatever, isn't much better than with just a history UG degree. And you will have a ton of debt as well unless you got a nice scholarship, which is unlikely with your stats I assume.

Retake, get that LSAT significantly higher (170+) to compensate for the GPA, and you have a much better shot at a more decent law school...

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:05 pm

No red flags with OP. Sounds legit to me.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:05 pm

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:17 pm

Lol my one and only disciplining on tls was for posting that image in a thread like this once.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

longlivetheking

Bronze

Post by longlivetheking » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Lol my one and only disciplining on tls was for posting that image in a thread like this once.
did you have to disclose that on the C&F?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

longlivetheking wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Lol my one and only disciplining on tls was for posting that image in a thread like this once.
did you have to disclose that on the C&F?
Yeah but luckily they had a better sense of humor than whatever mod that was

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool

New

Post by BigGuyGoing2LawSkool » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Can't take the LSAT for another 17 months, took it three times in a row. I think I'm going to go with the third option (not really), but maybe I can be a curator for a museum or something. My parents will be so proud! Thanks for the advice guys.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:38 pm

seriously, retake or go do anything else. It is financial suicide to attend these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:42 pm

BigGuyGoing2LawSkool wrote:Can't take the LSAT for another 17 months, took it three times in a row. I think I'm going to go with the third option (not really), but maybe I can be a curator for a museum or something. My parents will be so proud! Thanks for the advice guys.
It sounds like you were joking, but a lot of museums do hire history majors for education department/ tours jobs (not curator jobs- those are super specialized). They're not well paid and can be sort of hard to find, but the hours are nice and it'll get you by while you wait to retake. I did this for 2 years. check out places like the American Association for State and Local history, or museum websites.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:44 pm

But seriously dude, going to one of those schools will leave you worse off than just being a history major

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Being a history major is really not that bad. If you have any writing skills at all, there are plenty of content/advertising/marketing jobs that will pay you mediocre to above-average salaries. Or you can go do retail and be a manager one day. Hell, you can go be homeless and live on a street corner---ANYTHING is better than Whittier/Cooley.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:But seriously dude, going to one of those schools will leave you worse off than just being a history major
+1

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:07 pm

You are far better off with just your history degree.

If you go to either of these schools you'll just be 3 years older and have more debt and the opportunity cost, but looking at the exact same types of jobs you're looking at now. Plus, law school closes many Now Legal doors. Right now you're probably young and you will find retail/service industry work more easily than you will in a few years with a JD (or a 3 year resume gap).

Just work any job for now until you can go to a much better school or figure out a different career path. If you haven't graduated yet, think about applying for programs like the Peace Corps to see of the world and gain a different perspective.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”