Prior Law School/Depression/Not Making the Curve Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
attackpizza

New

Prior Law School/Depression/Not Making the Curve

Post by attackpizza » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I had no luck finding any threads that address my particular situation.

I graduated from UCSC in 2005 and matriculated at GGU Law in Fall 2005 because I didn't have any other better idea for my post-undergrad life. Things did not go well. The first semester was alright, but I was struggling with anxiety and depression in a pretty major way. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder in December 2005. I started therapy and medication, but I continued to struggle through Spring 2006. I had serious trouble focusing and retaining information on good days and on bad days, I was hardly mentally present. I totally bombed and barely missed the curve at the end of the first year. I considered re-applying, which GGU does not discourage for students who do not make the curve after the first year, but ultimately decided to cut my losses as I was offered a legal assistant position with a sole practitioner and alumnus of GGU. I continued to work as a legal assistant and worked on getting healthy. I went through a few more significant struggles, but in the last three years I have made some serious progress, gotten married and given birth to my first child. So things are looking pretty great and I'm ready to give law school another shot, because it turns out I really love the law.

I would love any advice, feedback or general words of wisdom from folks who have successfully applied with similar mental health history and especially from anyone who missed the curve and had success the second time around (if there are any of you on TLS).

TIA,
attackpizza

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”