GPA Help Please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kkb319

New

GPA Help Please

Post by kkb319 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm

-
Last edited by kkb319 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

drewmm

New

Re: GPA Help Please

Post by drewmm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Looking at it solely as a numbers game, retaking them isn't going to help if the F's stay on your transcript. Doing some really quick back-of-the-napkin calculations, if you took 4 classes a semester for 4 years to get that 3.89 (i.e. assuming you aren't able to improve your GPA during your senior year), then adding in the Fs drops you to something like a 3.66. Adding two more A's on (assuming you retake both classes and get As) only brings you back up to a 3.68. Anyways, the exact numbers depend on how many classes you've taken and what you do with your grades this year, but my point is that simply adding two As on top won't result in any meaningful change in your numbers.

So the real question is how it'll look to admissions committees. My *guess* is that taking two entry-level community college classes during your senior year at an Ivy will look like a blatant attempt to improve your GPA, and that it'd hurt you, in net. I'd guess that, overall, you're better off just writing a short (and let me emphasize short) addendum stating that you withdrew from the classes due to scheduling issues, but missed the deadline. And, of course, kill your grades this year, and make sure you're in a position to get good letters of rec (and get the letters on file with LSAC before you leave college.)

kkb319

New

Post by kkb319 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:27 pm

-

drewmm

New

Post by drewmm » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:35 pm

I really don't know how much they'll care. To the extent that they're playing their medians, it'll make a difference, since the 3.6 is what'll get reported. Completely unexplained Fs might also raise a red flag on an application even beyond the numbers. My sense is that with a 1-2 sentence explanation those schools that are willing to look past numbers won't hold it against you, and even at numbers schools your LSAT is high enough to cut you some slack.

Bear in mind that this is all guess-work. But I guess the most important thing is that there's really nothing you can do about it at this point, unless there's some retroactive withdrawal procedure at the CC that you haven't taken advantage of that will completely remove them from your transcript. Just do what you can with the parts of the application that are still under your control, and see where that takes you. I wouldn't be too worried.

rendlelaw

New

Post by rendlelaw » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:09 pm

I think your best play would be to contact the Community College and see if you can get the grades expunged. Explain the situation and you might find someone willing to work with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:03 pm

rendlelaw wrote:I think your best play would be to contact the Community College and see if you can get the grades expunged. Explain the situation and you might find someone willing to work with you.
I second this. If you can't get that fixed I think a short addendum explaining the situation will help. Either way, your still a shoe-in at every law school except YHS. If you're a URM, even if you can't get it fixed, you've still got pretty good odds with YHS. And yes, I think the work experience with help you.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:35 pm

kkb319 wrote:Do law schools seriously care about cc classes taken in high school or will the addendum help put things in context?
Yes and yes.

They care about the classes because they affected your GPA, and they care about your GPA.

The addendum will help to put things in context, but it'll be a tiebreaker instead of something that forces them to reevaluate your GPA.

kkb319

New

Post by kkb319 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 pm

-

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kkb319

New

Post by kkb319 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:25 pm

-

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:59 pm

kkb319 wrote:I see...
Do ccs usually help expunge grades in this situation?? Also if I can't get them fixed, is there really nothing I can do??
It's really hit or miss. Some will be more than happy to help you out, but others will completely shut you down. The important thing is to be polite, but insistent. Don't talk to the low man on the totem pole; make sure you talk to some you actually has the power to make this happen.

And yes, if you can't get them fixed, there really isn't anything you can do.

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:41 pm

kkb319 wrote:I see...
Do ccs usually help expunge grades in this situation?? Also if I can't get them fixed, is there really nothing I can do??
Some colleges will drop the classes entirely. Others will give you Ws. Still others can't help you at all. You have nothing to lose by asking. But I'd suggest you start by asking to have them dropped entirely - removed from your transcript. If they cannot do that, then ask about retroactive withdrawals, so you can get Ws.

If you can't get these dropped or changed to Ws, there really is nothing you can do, no.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toby Ziegler

Silver

Post by Toby Ziegler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 pm

Regulus wrote:I think that a lot of people on here are being overly optimistic about how much an addendum will help your situation in the event that you cannot get the F's expunged or at least retroactively changed to Ws.

Writing the addendum will likely prevent some schools in your GPA/LSAT range from viewing your transcript suspiciously, but it will not act as a "GPA booster" to help you get into schools where your GPA is much lower than their 25th percentile. Unfortunately, schools care about LSAT / GPA mostly because of the US News & World Report rankings, which do not care about the reason behind someone's grades.

Really, though, the only schools that your GPA will likely keep you out of are HYS; you should be in everywhere else even if the 2 Fs are counted against you.
Removed for anonymity

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”