Addendum Help Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jgibbs444

New

Addendum Help

Post by jgibbs444 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:40 pm

I just wanted to ask everyone about addends and undergraduate disciplinary violations, and their affect on law school applications. During my freshmen year of undergrad, I received an alcohol violation within the university disciplinary office. I wrote up an addendum and just wanted to see what you all thought about it, or what might need to be changed.

Does a violation such as this have a large, negative impact on law school applications? Is it a deal-breaker for getting into T14 schools?? I am just really nervous this will be keep me from getting into a great law school, or not allow me to pass F&C.

Addendum:
"During my freshmen year of college, I was found to be in violation of the Department of Residence alcohol policy on the XXX campus. I was spending time in my friend’s dorm room on a weekend evening, where we had alcohol present. My friend and his roommate had stepped out of the room, leaving the door open, when a few resident advisers walked past the room and noticed the alcohol. At a meeting with the residence hall director, she discussed with me the consequences of my actions and what would happen in this circumstance. I was given the task of completing an online alcohol education course, which taught me a great deal about the negative consequences of alcohol use while underage. In this situation, no police/reports or convictions, suspensions or probation were involved and everything was handled internally with the residence halls and Dean of Students Office. This was my first and only violation related to alcohol or any other form of disciplinary action.
I accept fully responsibility for my actions that evening, and understand that this was a severe lack of judgment and maturity. After that night, I really got to step back and assess what was important to me and how I want to uphold a much stronger level of representation for myself. A simple mistake like this can cause much more damage than first perceived, and I was not aware of that at the time. I was young, new to college, and quite ignorant of the situations I could encounter while in school. I look back on the experience and use it as learning opportunity as I move forward with my life and as I gather more personal responsibility and grow mentally."

Thank you everyone!!

Nova

Platinum

Re: Addendum Help

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Its nbd. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:12 pm

I know someone who got into the t14 with a possession of ecstasy criminal conviction.

I Know several people with weed convictions who were accepted to t14s.

As far as the addendum. I think its fine, but should be a shorter.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 pm

jgibbs444 wrote: Addendum:
"During my freshmen year of college, I was found to be in violation of the Department of Residence alcohol policy on the XXX campus because I was in a dorm room with alcohol present. I was spending time in my friend’s dorm room on a weekend evening, where we had alcohol present. My friend and his roommate had stepped out of the room, leaving the door open, when a few resident advisers walked past the room and noticed the alcohol. At a meeting with the residence hall director, she discussed with me the consequences of my actions and what would happen in this circumstance. I was given the task of completing I completed an online alcohol education course, which taught me a great deal about the negative consequences of alcohol use while underage. In this situation, no police/reports or convictions, suspensions or probation were involved and everything was handled internally with the residence halls and Dean of Students Office. This was my first and only violation related to alcohol or any other form of disciplinary action.
I accept fully responsibility for my actions that evening, and understand that this was a severe lack of judgment and maturity. After that night, I really got to step back and assess what was important to me and how I want to uphold a much stronger level of representation for myself. A simple mistake like this can cause much more damage than first perceived, and I was not aware of that at the time. I was young, new to college, and quite ignorant of the situations I could encounter while in school. I look back on the experience and use it as learning opportunity as I move forward with my life and as I gather more personal responsibility and grow mentally."
This would be way better imo

jgibbs444

New

Post by jgibbs444 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Nova, thank you very much for the input, it's greatly appreciated. So, it's better to have a short and sweet addendum, instead of a more thorough explanation of what happened, why, what you did to fix it, etc.?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Generally yes. Especially for something this minor.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Nova wrote:I know someone who got into the t14 with a possession of ecstasy criminal conviction.
Now that is an addendum I would love to see

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 pm

t-14orbust wrote:
Nova wrote:I know someone who got into the t14 with a possession of ecstasy criminal conviction.
I can only imagine the adcomms rationalizations. " Well he has a 170 and said he's sorry. No one else is probably going to take him, so admitting him should sure up our LSAT median and help our yield rate"

I would link you to it but my phone is being stupid ( or maybe I'm stupid?).

Google gulc meth to see how it turned out for him. (Spoiler: bad)

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:44 pm

Nova wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:
I can only imagine the adcomms rationalizations. " Well he has a 170 and said he's sorry. No one else is probably going to take him, so admitting him should sure up our LSAT median and help our yield rate"

I would link you to it but my phone is being stupid ( or maybe I'm stupid?).

Google gulc meth to see how it turned out for him. (Spoiler: bad)
wait...so you're telling me that this kid ended up gaining admission with an E conviction but still decided it was a good idea to sell meth while in LAW school? Those adcomms probably felt pretty damn stupid

edit: here's the article for anyone that's interested http://www.abovethelaw.com/2013/02/brea ... ore-221260

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:54 pm

t-14orbust wrote: wait...so you're telling me that this kid ended up gaining admission with an E conviction but still decided it was a good idea to sell meth while in LAW school? Those adcomms probably felt pretty damn stupid
Fortunately for the adcomms, USNWR does not have a scoring section based upon # of students arrested for selling drugs. But as we all know, they are constantly looking for ways to make the ranking system better...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”