Once your over 75th percentile, does it matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hos9903

Bronze

Once your over 75th percentile, does it matter?

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

Last edited by hos9903 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superbloom

Bronze

Re: Once your over 75th percentile, does it matter?

Post by superbloom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:37 am

Absolutely, especially because of your low GPA. You'll probably get in, but retake for more money.

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:41 am

superbloom wrote:Absolutely, especially because of your low GPA. You'll probably get in, but retake for more money.
thanks for the response.

If you think i'll likely get in, is there a rush to take the October test? Just found out a pretty big (social) event is the same day as the October test. If i'm just looking for more scholarship bargaining power, will December work just as well?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

If you're above the 75th percentile, you should aim higher

superbloom

Bronze

Post by superbloom » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:47 am

hos9903 wrote:
superbloom wrote:Absolutely, especially because of your low GPA. You'll probably get in, but retake for more money.
thanks for the response.

If you think i'll likely get in, is there a rush to take the October test? Just found out a pretty big (social) event is the same day as the October test. If i'm just looking for more scholarship bargaining power, will December work just as well?
Most likely. I retook in December, got my apps out by mid-January. My scholarships looked identical to the others on LSN.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:48 am

Last edited by hos9903 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:51 am

superbloom wrote:
Most likely. I retook in December, got my apps out by mid-January. My scholarships looked identical to the others on LSN.

I was actually implying applying in early October, and then taking the LSAT in December/February as a bargaining chip for financial aid. I am new to the admission process so I'm not sure if this is a common/realistic approach or not. I know that schools won't look at your file if you are registered for another LSAT, but my plan is to apply and then take the LSAT again after I've been reviewed.
Last edited by hos9903 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:53 am

I wouldnt put social events above sitting for arguably the most important exam in your professional career

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:56 am

jbagelboy wrote:I wouldnt put social events above sitting for arguably the most important exam in your professional career
sounds like you've never been to a Homecoming game tailgate

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:58 am

This sounds like a question Mike Spivey could answer.

Do you plan on studying hard for this exam? Because you sound unmotivated.

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:09 pm

NYstate wrote:This sounds like a question Mike Spivey could answer.

Do you plan on studying hard for this exam? Because you sound unmotivated.
I will be motivated if I decide that is worth the time. Obviously nobody has ever been in a worse spot with a higher LSAT, but that is not sufficient to say that everybody has been in a better spot with a higher LSAT. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:21 pm

hos9903 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:I wouldnt put social events above sitting for arguably the most important exam in your professional career
sounds like you've never been to a Homecoming game tailgate
Ive been to one USC and one Stanford homecoming tailgating, and plenty of other games in the season at a bunch of schools.

If you think this event is more important than law school/lsat, then you might need to graduate and take 1-2 years to work FT and reassess. No offense intended, but just as some advice from my experience, leaving that pre-professional mode from senior year where missing out on a college party/tailgate with my friends would be blasphemous and attending is worth jeopardizing a k-jd LS application was entirely necessary for me to make it to where I am now (and be prepared for 1L). Obviously we all need our share of shitfest, which is why I hit the 15 and drove straight to the Aria on the strip an hour AFTER destroying my oct lsat (by my low standards for tls), saw the metric concert it was awesome. But thats after. #YOLO man its your call but Id definitely take the fucking test and get those apps in ASAP if you are really concerned with k-jd

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Ive been to one USC and one Stanford homecoming tailgating, and plenty of other games in the season at a bunch of schools.

If you think this event is more important than law school/lsat, then you might need to graduate and take 1-2 years to work FT and reassess. No offense intended, but just as some advice from my experience, leaving that pre-professional mode from senior year where missing out on a college party/tailgate with my friends would be blasphemous and attending is worth jeopardizing a k-jd LS application was entirely necessary for me to make it to where I am now (and be prepared for 1L). Obviously we all need our share of shitfest, which is why I hit the 15 and drove straight to the Aria on the strip an hour AFTER destroying my oct lsat (by my low standards for tls), saw the metric concert it was awesome. But thats after. #YOLO man its your call but Id definitely take the fucking test and get those apps in ASAP if you are really concerned with k-jd

Yea, I was mostly being facetious and really have no problem foregoing the tailgate for the October test. And in the end I probably will, but it's been surprisingly difficult gearing up for a retake when I beat my PT average by two points.
Last edited by hos9903 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thenewguy

New

Post by thenewguy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:31 pm

hos9903 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Yea, I was mostly being facetious and really have no problem forgoing the tailgate for the October test. And in the end I probably will, but it's been surprisingly difficult gearing up for a retake when I beat my PT average by two points.

Plus it's an early exam so you could still have a fulfilling post LSAT time. I think knowing you're foregoing the LSAT could be a major buzzkill that day anyway. it would be for me atleast. I took the june and didnt get home till around 530 i think but what happened that day after the LSAT is anyones guess, I certainly can't remember.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 pm

The question isn't is it worth it for everyone, the question is: is it worth it for you. If you can study and improve, then yes it is worth it. If you won't study because you beat your expectations anyway, or if you think you have maxed out your prep and this is the best you can ever do, then no it isn't worth it for you.

My friend who wanted to retake a 178 to try to get a 180 for Yale was wasting her time. She ultimately didn't retake, though I believe she could get 180, that wouldn't mean she got into Yale.

You are not asking about retaking a 178 for Yale.
You should retake but only if you are going to apply yourself.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:52 pm

A few things:

1. The LSAT is not the most important exam of your professional career. That would be the Bar, hands down,
2. Of course the retake matters. Improving will get your more $$$, make you a lock for your target schools, and open some more schools up.
3. OP, have you been on TLS before? Why bother making this thread when it's clear you don't want to retake, knowing full well that every response will be "retake"?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:23 pm

SFSpartan wrote:A few things:

1. The LSAT is not the most important exam of your professional career. That would be the Bar, hands down
Where you go to law school has a much bigger influence on your career than the bar, and the LSAT largely determines where you go to law school. Plus the bar's just pass/fail, the LSAT's graded on a curve. Obviously the bar's very important, but it's qualitatively a different sort of importance from what jbagel was talking about.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:36 pm

hos9903 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Yea, I was mostly being facetious and really have no problem forgoing the tailgate for the October test. And in the end I probably will, but it's been surprisingly difficult gearing up for a retake when I beat my PT average by two points.
Well that, I understand.

If all you want to do is attend BC and you arent terrifically concerned with scholarship $, no need to feel compelled to retake. 167 is actually a great score and TLS shouldnt convince you otherwise. Still, in your position w/ a low GPA, you'd have a lot to gain by working, raising your grades till graduation and getting a large scholarship when you apply later. Also, understand 1) capitalization of interest for your loan repayment, 2) BCs employment data, and 3) scholarship negotiation process necessitating multiple application/acceptances, prior to making any uninformed decisions.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm

jselson wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:A few things:

1. The LSAT is not the most important exam of your professional career. That would be the Bar, hands down
Where you go to law school has a much bigger influence on your career than the bar, and the LSAT largely determines where you go to law school. Plus the bar's just pass/fail, the LSAT's graded on a curve. Obviously the bar's very important, but it's qualitatively a different sort of importance from what jbagel was talking about.
This.

Also I did qualify with "arguably". There are other approaches to the question, but its more important as articulated above IMO

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 pm

OP: I recommend studying this before school starts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Danger Zone wrote:OP: I recommend studying this before school starts.
ah, you're everybody's favorite kind of person.
Last edited by hos9903 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hos9903

Bronze

Post by hos9903 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote: Well that, I understand.

If all you want to do is attend BC and you arent terrifically concerned with scholarship $, no need to feel compelled to retake. is actually a great score and TLS shouldnt convince you otherwise. Still, in your position w/ a low GPA, you'd have a lot to gain by working, raising your grades till graduation and getting a large scholarship when you apply later. Also, understand 1) capitalization of interest for your loan repayment, 2) BCs employment data, and 3) scholarship negotiation process necessitating multiple application/acceptances, prior to making any uninformed decisions.
thanks for the response, I appreciate the honest feedback. I'm going to keep thinking it over.
Last edited by hos9903 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”