1 LOR from Employer; 1 LOR from Professor; Third LOR...? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Youppi!

New

1 LOR from Employer; 1 LOR from Professor; Third LOR...?

Post by Youppi! » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am

I'm confident I'll be able to secure two LORs before the 2013-'14 app cycle, one from my boss @ work and another from a professor (who I took several classes with and who knows my deep interest in legal issues, specifically legal philosophies and history).

Is a third LOR necessary? I figure this might vary from school to school but perhaps there's a consensus. I'm worried that if I reach out somewhere for a third it will be weak in comparison to the other two since these are two people who really know me quite well.

TYIA

North

Gold

Re: 1 LOR from Employer; 1 LOR from Professor; Third LOR...?

Post by North » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am

Stick with the two you have if you're certain you can't get a second academic one that says anything novel about you. Having two academic LORs is ideal, but not at the expense of making an AdComm read a generic one.

Youppi!

New

Post by Youppi! » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 am

North wrote:Stick with the two you have if you're certain you can't get a second academic one that says anything novel about you. Having two academic LORs is ideal, but not at the expense of making an AdComm read a generic one.
Great, this is what I figured. Thanks!

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Is it too late to cultivate a relationship for a second academic reference? You could also broaden your scope of academics for instance asking a school adviser who may have gotten to know you well or perhaps a GTF who knew you well. I agree it should be someone who knows you well but I would aspire to have two academic references, for some reason I recall that being strongly encouraged in all the adcom interviews I've read.

Youppi!

New

Post by Youppi! » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Rory19 wrote:Is it too late to cultivate a relationship for a second academic reference? You could also broaden your scope of academics for instance asking a school adviser who may have gotten to know you well or perhaps a GTF who knew you well. I agree it should be someone who knows you well but I would aspire to have two academic references, for some reason I recall that being strongly encouraged in all the adcom interviews I've read.
I've graduated.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”