Apply Now or WE -- HLS, 3.72/180 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
donmincho

New

Apply Now or WE -- HLS, 3.72/180

Post by donmincho » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey TLS,

I'm looking for advice from those of you who might have some insight into HLS admissions--I've done lots of research, know what to expect with my numbers, but I'm trying to strengthen my softs as much as possible to give myself the best odds. I have a 3.72 from a top LAC and a 180, strong academic softs (honors, double major). My UG softs are meh, some campus political involvement first two years, focused on academics Jr and Sr years. I DONT have much substantive WE. Been out of school for 2 years, traveled a bit then spent the past year+ PT at a cool PI job, and some PT teaching. Now in the process of applying to biglaw paralegal jobs.

My question is this: apply now (2013-2014) or wait another year to get a full year of FT WE under my belt. My real target here is HLS--think I have good odds at Columbia/NYU, possibly Chicago, and on down. YS are almost a statistical nil.

I want to work FT as a biglaw paralegal to get a feel for biglaw before heading to law school. Also need the professional development since I haven't worked any FT office jobs. Probably not interested in biglaw long term, but thought it would be good to get a new perspective. So, TLS savants, whaddya think?

Darmody

Bronze

Re: Apply Now or WE -- HLS, 3.72/180

Post by Darmody » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:40 pm

mylsn shows that you have an 80% chance of acceptance to HLS purely based on your numbers. A year of WE could help, but I'd apply this cycle if I were you. Also, congrats on the 180, you beast.

edit: tips on LSAT prep?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:41 pm

I think you're in at H this cycle. They're going to want to scoop up the high LSATs

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:55 pm

You probably have a good enough shot at Harvard right now if you wanted. You should decide how important the extra WE is to you. Also, many firms ask for a two-year commitment from paralegals. So if you got one of those you'd want to either 1) wait until next cycle to apply or 2) apply with the intent of deferring if you get Harvard or a comparable offer, and withdrawing and reapplying if you don't. If the job doesn't come with a commitment, you may want to apply this cycle.

Right now I would be getting everything ready to apply for this cycle, and decide in a month based on the job search whether I wanted to apply or sit this one out.

donmincho

New

Post by donmincho » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Darmody wrote:mylsn shows that you have an 80% chance of acceptance to HLS purely based on your numbers. A year of WE could help, but I'd apply this cycle if I were you. Also, congrats on the 180, you beast.

Thanks all for the thoughts. If you do a broader search on mylsn, shows closer to 60% (e.g., 177-180, 3.66-3.78). If you do the search you did (auto search), the sample size is small (n=5) and all but one of the accepted had 3.78 GPA or higher. In either case, I agree that my chances are very good, but there were a number of applicants with similar numbers last cycle who were waitlisted. I also think that WE is relatively important for HLS, and having had no FT employment post-UG will hurt me.

Lavitz, definitely true that most firms will want a 2-year commitment, so I'm keeping that in mind. I don't know that the best strategy is to apply, and if W/R, to reapply with an additional year of WE. Haven't done a ton of research on reapplying, but it seems that the best way to go is to make your application as strong as possible and apply once.

So, I think it makes sense to get everything ready and make a decision in a month once I have a better idea about job opportunities. I'm also trying to weigh the added value of an additional year of FT WE against the potential for more selective admissions next cycle, if applications rise.

Thanks all for any input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

donmincho

New

Post by donmincho » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 pm

Darmody wrote:mylsn shows that you have an 80% chance of acceptance to HLS purely based on your numbers. A year of WE could help, but I'd apply this cycle if I were you. Also, congrats on the 180, you beast.

I spent about 2 years on-and-off and took every published practice test, many of them twice. PM me for more details.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

donmincho wrote:

I spent about 2 years on-and-off and took every published practice test, many of them twice. PM me for more details.
Now I know why I didn't get a 180 lol

bjohnsobf

New

Post by bjohnsobf » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 am

if this is a serious post you're being silly

dude i dont care if you went to university of pheonix if you have over a 3.5 and a 180 you're going whereever you want.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

For purposes of getting into Harvard I think you have a good shot at being accepted this year. For purposes of giving yourself options outside of law and not being at the mercy of the ever collapsing biglaw machine, I think you're making a mistake if you either apply now or work as a paralegal. You would be much better off finding a job in industry with nothing to do with law for a couple of years instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 am

Lavitz wrote:You probably have a good enough shot at Harvard right now if you wanted. You should decide how important the extra WE is to you. Also, many firms ask for a two-year commitment from paralegals. So if you got one of those you'd want to either 1) wait until next cycle to apply or 2) apply with the intent of deferring if you get Harvard or a comparable offer, and withdrawing and reapplying if you don't. If the job doesn't come with a commitment, you may want to apply this cycle.

Right now I would be getting everything ready to apply for this cycle, and decide in a month based on the job search whether I wanted to apply or sit this one out.
This is nominally true but by no means is it a contractual obligation. I know paralegals at my V10 who have left after a year to attend law school.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:14 am

bjohnsobf wrote:if this is a serious post you're being silly

dude i dont care if you went to university of pheonix if you have over a 3.5 and a 180 you're going whereever you want.
No.
Humbert Humbert wrote:
Lavitz wrote:You probably have a good enough shot at Harvard right now if you wanted. You should decide how important the extra WE is to you. Also, many firms ask for a two-year commitment from paralegals. So if you got one of those you'd want to either 1) wait until next cycle to apply or 2) apply with the intent of deferring if you get Harvard or a comparable offer, and withdrawing and reapplying if you don't. If the job doesn't come with a commitment, you may want to apply this cycle.
This is nominally true but by no means is it a contractual obligation. I know paralegals at my V10 who have left after a year to attend law school.
I never said it was. Sorry, I guess I assumed everyone else knew commitment = expectation, not a contractual obligation. Yes, you can leave if you want. But I personally wouldn't be comfortable accepting a job knowing they expected two years and then only working one year. The guy I was hired to replace at my last job did that and they didn't take too kindly to that.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:48 am

Retake.

But seriously, you should be fine at Harvard this year. Applying won't hurt you--if you get rejected you can just go on with your WE plans and apply next year or in two years.

Plus, you can always ED UVA.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 am

Cicero76 wrote:Retake.
:mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GJWheeler

New

Post by GJWheeler » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:08 am

t-14orbust wrote:I think you're in at H this cycle. They're going to want to scoop up the high LSATs
+1

seriously 1) they dont care THAT much abotu your WE; and 2) any WE you get will most likely be boring and pointless and not worth the time you took off

(and 3, no one gives a shit about a paralegal that didn't fulfill 2 years of a paralegal job. also, no one really gives a shit about paralegal WE, so i'm wasting my time typing these words)

KingofSplitters55

Bronze

Post by KingofSplitters55 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 pm

I don't think WE will help your application further. It may help in recruiting though, depending on what kind of field of law you're aiming for (of course in a totally insignificant way compared to 1L grades/law review, but still I've seen/heard it being a factor at times).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”