. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c3pO4

Silver

Re: Is ED really binding?

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm

sure - it's not binding, do w/e you want. it's not as if there isn't a professional ethics/character body where schools can report things that could affect your law license

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:18 pm

It's really really binding for that cycle. You can always sit out a year and apply again.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:It's really really binding for that cycle. You can always sit out a year and apply again.
Some schools will automatically grant a deferral, binding you for at least another year

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:56 pm

I was going to post here to tell you to use the search function but then I noticed something way more pressing - fix your avatar

Sourrudedude

Bronze

Post by Sourrudedude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I was going to post here to tell you to use the search function but then I noticed something way more pressing - fix your avatar
Haha. I tried searching but all the results were about how ED is binding. For future reference, what should I have searched? I'm not really used to the search engine on here.
Or the results might have all said ED is binding because ED is binding... (At least, that's how I understand it from reading here.) Yes, because LSAC centralizes the application process, schools know if you break the agreement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Applicants can get blackballed for backing out of an ED agreement, too

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I was going to post here to tell you to use the search function but then I noticed something way more pressing - fix your avatar
Haha. I tried searching but all the results were about how ED is binding. For future reference, what should I have searched? I'm not really used to the search engine on here.
So you searched, found a bunch of threads telling you that ED is binding.. and then made a thread asking whether ED is binding?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:
So you searched, found a bunch of threads telling you that ED is binding.. and then made a thread asking whether ED is binding?
The question is more whether and how schools can enforce the ED against you. I haven't heard much more than rumors, but schools in the same range apparently have an agreement (antitrust concerns be damned) that they'll reject you if you try to matriculate at another school. They supposedly do this by circulating a list of ED candidates among their peer schools. If that's really what happens then, for example, Harvard wouldn't know about your ED at Seton Hall.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 pm

you're still pushing this? give it up dude. personal responsibility, might be a good time to look that up in a dictionary

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
Sourrudedude wrote:
The question is more whether and how schools can enforce the ED against you. I haven't heard much more than rumors, but schools in the same range apparently have an agreement (antitrust concerns be damned) that they'll reject you if you try to matriculate at another school. They supposedly do this by circulating a list of ED candidates among their peer schools. If that's really what happens then, for example, Harvard wouldn't know about your ED at Seton Hall.
mr.hands wrote:Applicants can get blackballed for backing out of an ED agreement, too

Happy Gilmore

Bronze

Post by Happy Gilmore » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Kid at my school did ED at 8-9 different schools (He didn't understand the point of it). DePaul and Chicago-Kent both let him out of it with out getting pissed (I can only assume that they were happy he backed out). John Marshall pretty much said you will attend here or we will send letters to other schools.

I wouldn't suggest ever doing early decision.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 pm

They might be able to sue you. Not that sure though. I sucked at Contracts.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Also, whether it's binding depends on the school - some schools use the phrase "early decision" in the same way that others use "early action" - they promise to give you a response by X date, and in theory your chances are a little better because of more seats being available, but it's not binding.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:01 pm

Tom Joad wrote:They might be able to sue you. Not that sure though. I sucked at Contracts.
lol yeah i'd love to see them prove damages. Suing students who backed out of the ED acceptance because their medians dropped =/= good publicity

Either way, OP, this would be a terrible decision.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:They might be able to sue you. Not that sure though. I sucked at Contracts.
lol yeah i'd love to see them prove damages. Suing students who backed out of the ED program because their medians dropped =/= good publicity

Tuition, man. It is basically a contract for a service.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 pm

I haven't read an ED agreement, but they won't sue you for not attending. They will make sure you don't go anywhere else
mr.hands wrote:Applicants can get blackballed for backing out of an ED agreement, too

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
mr.hands wrote:
lol yeah i'd love to see them prove damages. Suing students who backed out of the ED program because their medians dropped =/= good publicity

they're required to mitigate damages, which they certainly are able to do. The same tuition would be paid. The only difference is the GPA/LSAT disparity. Thus, damages = differential in numbers (something they'd never sue over)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:35 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

they're required to mitigate damages, which they certainly are able to do. The same tuition would be paid. The only difference is the GPA/LSAT disparity. Thus, damages = differential in numbers (something they'd never sue over)
But they wouldn't have to let in another person to mitigate damages. They only need to respond reasonably. It would be reasonable to cut the class size rather than admit unqualified students.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:51 pm

This is why everyone hates law students.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 am

i hate everyone in this thread
Last edited by dood on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 am

c3pO4 wrote:sure - it's not binding, do w/e you want. it's not as if there isn't a professional ethics/character body where schools can report things that could affect your law license
shut up u cockmoron

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”