apply early v. LSAT retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nightsky

New

apply early v. LSAT retake?

Post by nightsky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 am

I'm a non-URM with a 3.88 in political science from an IVY, and took LSATs twice (Dec 2012: 162 / June 2013: 170). I'm shooting for T5 schools, but after getting my retake score I just couldn't figure out if it's better to apply early (like as soon as the apps open) or take the test again in Oct and then apply. Most of my friends are telling me to take the test again, but I'm pretty bad at taking standardized tests and scored about 8 points below my prep mean for both sittings. Right now I'm leaning more towards submitting my app super early in the cycle and forget about retake, but would really appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks!

untar614

Silver

Re: apply early v. LSAT retake?

Post by untar614 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

In most cases, a higher LSAT is more valuable than an early application (though both is better), and if you plan on retaking in October and completing the app submission a soon as you get your score back, that would still be good time-wise. If you think you can land 2-3 more points on the LSAT, given your GPA that would put you as close to a lock numbers-wise as we can really claim (though there are never any guarantees) for at least one of HCCNP

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:43 am

You were PTing an average 178? Retake the LSAT

Applying on Nov 1st is still early. Just get your application ready by then

lhn5007

New

Post by lhn5007 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 pm

I would retake no matter what because end of October/early November is still early. A couple more points with your gpa will make a huge difference. Are you thinking about Early Decision, is that why?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:25 pm

You're currently below the LSAT median at all of the Top 5 (except Stanford).
sinfiery wrote:You were PTing an average 178? Retake the LSAT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nightsky

New

Post by nightsky » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:44 pm

lhn5007 wrote:I would retake no matter what because end of October/early November is still early. A couple more points with your gpa will make a huge difference. Are you thinking about Early Decision, is that why?
I was thinking about Columbia ED, but it seems like I should give another try at the LSAT and leave no regret behind (of not having applied to T3 at all).

Thank you all for the replies, I'm registering for the Oct LSAT. I guess if I don't reach my goal in law school admissions, it shouldn't be because I didn't try hard enough.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:23 am

nightsky wrote:
lhn5007 wrote:I would retake no matter what because end of October/early November is still early. A couple more points with your gpa will make a huge difference. Are you thinking about Early Decision, is that why?
I was thinking about Columbia ED, but it seems like I should give another try at the LSAT and leave no regret behind (of not having applied to T3 at all).

Thank you all for the replies, I'm registering for the Oct LSAT. I guess if I don't reach my goal in law school admissions, it shouldn't be because I didn't try hard enough.
That's the smart move. Best of luck!

UnderrateOverachieve

Bronze

Post by UnderrateOverachieve » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 am

Does anyone have stats on October Lsats? Might be anecdotal, but I hear the June has the least variance and the October has the most. Simply because of the time gap is spent on making a more novel test.

The variation wouldn't mean take or don't take since it wouldnt be more predictive of a high score or a low score. Just curious. I took a June practice test and it was my highest score, and my actual score on the October test was miserable and it was apparently the hardest test ever, with the highest set curve and the lowest distribution. The actual distro was indicative that the curve should have been set about 2 points lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”