... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cunninghat

New

Post by cunninghat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Last edited by cunninghat on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Questions regarding Letters of Rec

Post by Nova » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 pm

1. Pretty sure 1 page is standard

2. Naa

3. The letter would probably marginally help. LORs in general are only a marginal factor. If its going to make your work situation very uncomfortable, I wouldn't ask for it.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:52 pm

1. One page. They won't read the rest

2. Maybe HCCN. But not necessary

3. Nope

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Stanford says that they like a targeted LOR on their website, but it's not required. I don't think it matters anywhere else.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:03 am

jselson wrote:Stanford says that they like a targeted LOR on their website, but it's not required. I don't think it matters anywhere else.
I would add Yale to that. Their admissions process is very heavily dependent on LORs and targeted ones help there.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:07 am

Cicero76 wrote:
jselson wrote:Stanford says that they like a targeted LOR on their website, but it's not required. I don't think it matters anywhere else.
I would add Yale to that. Their admissions process is very heavily dependent on LORs and targeted ones help there.
YLS does care a lot about the quality of one's LORs, but I don't think they care even the slightest bit about whether the letters are targeted. Yale knows they're almost everyone's first choice. Asha and the faculty reviewers just want to read something that sets you apart from the typical high-numbers applicant.

Honestly, OP, I wouldn't (didn't) bother sending targeted letters to SLS either unless your recommender actually has meaningful things to say about why you and SLS are a particularly good match. That's tough to pull off if your recommender doesn't have meaningful knowledge of SLS. If all your professor does is substitute "Stanford Law School" for "law school" a few times, possibly throwing in a weak reference or two to something either easily found on SLS's website or common to most/all elite law schools, the targeted nature of the letter won't matter one whit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”