Should I retake lsat? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Rt887

New

Should I retake lsat?

Post by Rt887 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:54 pm

So I just got my lsat back, 166 and while its a pretty good score I'm having some thoughts about a retake.
I have a strong ug gpa (3.93-7 depending on whether A+'s are factored) from ucla, as well as a combat military background I can use in the personal statements. My target schools are boalt, ucla, USC, Cornell, Emory and Vanderbilt. Basically 10-20 schools. Do you think my stats would be sufficient for such schools, or should I maybe aim for a slightly higher score (I was scoring 170-1 in practice tests). Would say, a couple extra points be worth spending another few months of my life on this shitty test in terms of admissions?
Thanks a lot for the help!

trojandave

Bronze

Re: Should I retake lsat?

Post by trojandave » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Rt887 wrote:So I just got my lsat back, 166 and while its a pretty good score I'm having some thoughts about a retake.
I have a strong ug gpa (3.93-7 depending on whether A+'s are factored) from ucla, as well as a combat military background I can use in the personal statements. My target schools are boalt, ucla, USC, Cornell, Emory and Vanderbilt. Basically 10-20 schools. Do you think my stats would be sufficient for such schools, or should I maybe aim for a slightly higher score (I was scoring 170-1 in practice tests). Would say, a couple extra points be worth spending another few months of my life on this shitty test in terms of admissions?
Is spending a few more months of your life on that shitty test worth tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money? Cause with that GPA you'll get mad money if you can get your LSAT into the range where schools ranked 10-20 are scared you'll go T-6. (Also you'll open doors to T-6).

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 pm

trojandave wrote:
Rt887 wrote:So I just got my lsat back, 166 and while its a pretty good score I'm having some thoughts about a retake.
Is spending a few more months of your life on that shitty test worth tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money? Cause with that GPA you'll get mad money if you can get your LSAT into the range where schools ranked 10-20 are scared you'll go T-6. (Also you'll open doors to T-6).
With that military background, I think he'd also open up HYS with a 170.

OP, you'll probably get into most of those schools but since you were PT'ing higher, you should retake if you want either more scholarship money or to aim for even higher ranked schools.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 pm

The difference between 166 and 170+ is huge.

Definitely give it another shot in October. Studying wont be that bad this time around since you already have a solid foundation.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 pm

My answer was 'yes' before opening this thread. You're not K-JD, you have combat experience, you have a stellar GPA, and you were PTing higher. You should be signing up for the next administration and studying like crazy. There are very few circumstances that would make retaking not the right choice. Get a 170 and enjoy your pick the T14 with money.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Also, just to show the difference:

166-167

170-171

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”