Would a LOR from a alumni help? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laww

Bronze

Would a LOR from a alumni help?

Post by laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:35 pm

One of my mentors graduated with a JD from a school at which I have literally 0 chance of being accepted if MYLSN is to be believed ((it is one of the following: HYSCCN).

Would his LOR hold any weight in the application process? I had a rough first 2 years of college which contributed to my low GPA (final GPA: 3.2 UG / 3.0 LSAC).

I also have a professor willing to give me any support to help me get into a good school because I had her as my project leader for my final senior project. She has published a lot of academic papers, worked on Wall St., and has an MBA from a prestigious school. Would her LOR help me at all?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Re: Would a LOR from a alumni help?

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:40 pm

What's your LSAT?

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm taking LSAT in October.

I met with my Professor on Friday and she asked me what my plans are so I told her about how I want to go to law school.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 pm

It could help, but it's not gonna be a game changer. You need to focus on crushing that LSAT, I'm talking 175+, because your GPA is gonna hold you back otherwise, sorry to say.

If the school you have in mind is any of HYS, I'm sorry, I highly doubt you get in there, even if you get a 180.

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Yeah I've got a 180 or bust mentality.

I'm hoping I do well enough the LSAT to get into the best T14 I can with my numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:50 pm

laww wrote:Yeah I've got a 180 or bust mentality.

I'm hoping I do well enough the LSAT to get into the best T14 I can with my numbers.
Well, if you get in the mid-170s range, the lower 7 of the T14 with money are great possibilities. Don't discount them. I would take a full ride at Northwestern in a heartbeat.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:51 pm

A really good LoR would only make a difference once your LSAT/GPA/PS/WE had cleared the cut. Nearly everyone applying to law school is going to have found some professor or employer that can say something positive about them. No single letter, even if its from an individual of some influence, will overcome a very low GPA or LSAT.

I've heard strong LoRs are basically a prerequisite for Yale due to the faculty com admission review system, but your GPA barred you from new haven long ago.

However, it is also true that bad/non-academic LoRs can hurt you. Schools look for minimum 2 academic letters, that is, Professors with whom you've taken university courses. If your alumn has a JD, I'm making the tacit assumption they are not a professor (unless its a jd/phd in a policy program or something), which indicates their letter could actually be weaker than choosing a 2nd prof. Unless, of course, its a 3rd or 4th letter, but definitely save the first two as academic, then throw on employers or other mentor figures who know you well as available (although these are even more insignificant).

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Of course.

I just u know... maybe with some luck even if its a 1 in a billion shot... sigh... if I get a 176 or better I'm going to send an app to Stanford and Harvard lol. #YOLO

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:

Well, if you get in the mid-170s range, the lower 7 of the T14 with money are great possibilities. Don't discount them. I would take a full ride at Northwestern in a heartbeat.
No 3.0 is getting a full ride to NU. With a very strong LSAT, they have a chance to pay near sticker. NU was giving out the $50K awards to exclusively 3.75+, and the ED full rides dropped down to 3.5 at the lowest

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Is there any way to improve my GPA? I graduated already...

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

No 3.0 is getting a full ride to NU. With a very strong LSAT, they have a chance to pay near sticker. NU was giving out the $50K awards to exclusively 3.75+, and the ED full rides dropped down to 3.5 at the lowest
My bad, I was unaware.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:22 pm

laww wrote:Is there any way to improve my GPA? I graduated already...
nope. sorry.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

My bad, I was unaware.
no problem bro. I would love that NU full ride myself :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 am

So with my 3.0 LSAC GPA and hopefully a 173+ can I get into a good T14?

Or should I look at tier 2?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:08 am

laww wrote:So with my 3.0 LSAC GPA and hopefully a 173+ can I get into a good T14?

Or should I look at tier 2?
Tier 2 is 50-100, so don't drop that low.

With a 173+, you can definitely get into a good T14. I'd apply to some schools ranked in the 20s and high teens, though, to hopefully negotiate a little more of a scholarship. While your GPA is low, high LSATs are getting rarer each year as top scorers disproportionately decide to not take the exam and head to law school. You should be able to leverage some money out of a T14 if you kill the LSAT.

laww

Bronze

Post by laww » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you BP.

My parents and I are taking a huge risk (I'm working part time for 6 months so I can study for LSAT) with this and I am gonna go for a 180 lol.

I need to support them :D

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:

Wait are they seriously giving out ED full rides to 3.5/17x's?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”