They still exist Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: They still exist

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:45 am

suzige wrote: His mother has consulted me on what I think since she knows I was going thru the same process as her son

Learn 2 make distinctions.

The difference between you and OP is dat you were explicitly asked for advice.

OP was never asked for advice — explicitly nor implicitly. So OP must STFU and enjoy YALE MUTHAFUCKING LAW SCHOOL for petes sake!

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Thu May 30, 2013 8:53 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
suzige wrote: His mother has consulted me on what I think since she knows I was going thru the same process as her son

Learn 2 make distinctions.

The difference between you and OP is dat you were explicitly asked for advice.

OP was never asked for advice — explicitly nor implicitly. So OP must STFU.
Wow, bro. You care way too much about this.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 am

Only because OP is going to YALE.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 30, 2013 9:25 am

OP if this is a small florida college, it's possible the pre law adviser gets a kickback: i.e. $ for recommending coastal. You should investigate this; it's a much badder ass way to help people.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 9:26 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:OP if this is a small florida college, it's possible the pre law adviser gets a kickback: i.e. $ for recommending coastal. You should investigate this; it's a much badder ass way to help people.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:OP if this is a small florida college, it's possible the pre law adviser gets a kickback: i.e. $ for recommending coastal. You should investigate this; it's a much badder ass way to help people.
I just threw up in my mouth.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 am

fallingup wrote:This is the kind of person admitted to Yale Law? Disappointing.

Kind of person? You mean, kind of lsat score...

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

ph5354a wrote:
If you assume people are motivated predominately by incentives that benefit them, it checks out. I mean, is it more likely a pre-law adviser is completely unaware of everything law related in the NY Times and is 100% incompetent, or that he's looking to fund his summer vacation?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am

bananapeanutbutter wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
If you assume people are motivated predominately by incentives that benefit them, it checks out. I mean, is it more likely a pre-law adviser is completely unaware of everything law related in the NY Times and is 100% incompetent, or that he's looking to fund his summer vacation?
You're right, it does check out, though I know plenty of uninformed pre-law advisers. I just assumed advisers were just too lazy or unmotivated to have the kind of tough, potentially awkward conversation that Cicero tried to have with people like this. Kickbacks would be pretty f-ed up. Definitely something to check out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:58 am

ph5354a wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
You're right, it does check out, though I know plenty of uninformed pre-law advisers. I just assumed advisers were just too lazy or unmotivated to have the kind of tough, potentially awkward conversation that Cicero tried to have with people like this. Kickbacks would be pretty f-ed up. Definitely something to check out.
I also just threw up in my mouth. Is this something that actually happens? It would certainly explain why the advisor told him Florida Coastal is a "really top school," but I just can't see how anyone could possibly be so immoral as to sell an unsuspecting kid into debt slavery for a couple hundred dollars in kickback.

Now I'm pissed about the concept though, so I want to go and see if that's possible. I know the name of the advisor he used, and his email is pretty easy to find on teh school's website....hmm...

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 am

isuperserial wrote:Of course people like this still exist. Learn to live with them, because I'm pretty sure this is statistically most of the people who go to law school.

This girl got mad at me for disparaging her life choices when she told me she wants to go to Cooley and all I said was, "You're really smart, you can do better than Cooley." I thought that was a kind thing to say, but she got pissed off. From this point on, I've determined that I'll keep my mouth shut and just let them do whatever they want.

It's neither of our jobs to educate people about this law school application system. We have no obligation to do so, and they're not asking us to.
Exactly!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu May 30, 2013 10:10 am

Cicero76 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

I also just threw up in my mouth. Is this something that actually happens? It would certainly explain why the advisor told him Florida Coastal is a "really top school," but I just can't see how anyone could possibly be so immoral as to sell an unsuspecting kid into debt slavery for a couple hundred dollars in kickback.

Now I'm pissed about the concept though, so I want to go and see if that's possible. I know the name of the advisor he used, and his email is pretty easy to find on teh school's website....hmm...
See my first post on page 3.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 am

Do work Cicero .

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:20 am

quakeroats wrote:
Fair point. Sell an unsuspecting kid into wasting three years of his life and probably failing at his chosen career then.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu May 30, 2013 11:11 am

Tag 4 Cicero doing work

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am

now we're getting somewhere - does this person hold an official advisory post at a legit university?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:57 am

Cicero76 wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Fair point. Sell an unsuspecting kid into wasting three years of his life and probably failing at his chosen career then.
Meh... Just because that individual is "saved" by PAYE or IBR doesn't mean that debt-pwnage is an acceptable outcome. The government still needs to decide wtf is going to happen with the tax bomb, and even worse than that, the tax payers will end up paying a shit-hole law school hundreds of thousands of dollars because that graduate couldn't. If federal funds are viewed in this manner, it will only make our education system go down the shitter faster than it already is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 pm

justonemoregame wrote:now we're getting somewhere - does this person hold an official advisory post at a legit university?
Yes. According to the school's website, he is the chair of their "Prelaw advising committee"
Which appears to be a bunch of rando professors from disparate departments whose main job is to say "yeah law skewl is a fantastic idea." Considering they apparently have real jobs as actual professors, I can't imagine that they put much effort or research into their jobs as prelaw advisors

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Well, if you thought that your acquaintance was about to make a bad decision, what does that make this person? :roll:

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Munson wrote:This is one of the most arrogant posts I've read on TLS, and that's saying something.

First, it really isn't any of your business what your acquaintance plans to do with his own life. General statements about the high cost of law school, loan debt, and the competitiveness of the legal market are more than sufficient to convey the point you were trying to make. Obliquely informing a person that their law school pales in comparison to your own is extremely condescending.

Second, when someone asks you what you're doing next year, you tell them you are going to law school, not "Yale Law." If they ask where, then maybe you drop the Y-bomb on them. A little humility will serve you well in life. Both your conversation with your coworker and your post here are transparent boasting. You got into Yale. Congratulations. Let your capability speak for itself, rather than tooting your own horn. If anyone at that lunch believed they were a special snowflake, it was you.

Third, your demeaning tone only exposes that your actual motivation for "warning" your coworker about Florida Coastal was to throw in his face the disparity between your own school and his. I can only assume your intent was malicious because certainly you are smart enough to understand the impact of your pompous comparisons. As you'll learn, being an effective lawyer is about not only developing smart arguments, but also figuring out how best to present those arguments to the intended audience. You missed the mark badly on this one.
The "Yale hate" is strong in this one...

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm

Regulus wrote:Well, if you thought that your acquaintance was about to make a bad decision, what does that make this person? :roll:
Oh my God.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu May 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Regulus wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:I'm with rad lulz in that you shouldn't be telling that person anything, if he isn't your bro.

And even if it is in that person's well-being, you still shouldn't tell him anything, if he isn't your bro of course.

However, someone should do something about thattt advisor.
I dunno man... if you were walking across a bridge and saw someone starting to climb over the rail in order to commit suicide, would you try to stop them, or would you just let them jump because they're "not your bro"? Letting someone go to a for-profit TTT without saying anything is the same thing as letting someone commit financial suicide right in front of you. If they really want to jump they'll do it anyways, but I personally would at least try to talk them out of it. :|
I mean I don't know how I'm gonna explain etiquette and how to be polite. Either you think it's important and care about being polite or you don't. But jumping off a fucking bridge is readily distinguishable from going to Coastal. I would obviously tell the dude about to jump off a bridge not to jump off a bridge. I can't believe I am responding to this.

1) Finality and temporality - Jumping off a bridge will extinguish your life. And the dude's literal next action of swinging his leg over the railing will end his life unless I intervene. No matter how bad a decision going to Coastal is in pretty much all situations, it will not immediately extinguish your life.

2) Mental status - The Coastalbro is making a free choice. Whereas in the case of the dude who's about to hurl himself off the bridge, he's probably not making a free will choice in the way we would think of it, there's a good chance he's affected by depression, provocation, or some form of mental problem. There's a good chance he's sick in the head somewhere. He may not be able to make a competent decision and you should say/do something. As a comparison, I probably wouldn't tell someone about to commit ritual seppuku to cut it out (lolpun).

To use maybe a more apt analogy just the other day I saw an acquaintance and he made a joke relating to his drug dealing activities (which I did not know about) and I just laughed politely. He's not my bro and he didn't ask for my advice so it's not my fucking business.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Regulus wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:I'm with rad lulz in that you shouldn't be telling that person anything, if he isn't your bro.

And even if it is in that person's well-being, you still shouldn't tell him anything, if he isn't your bro of course.

I dunno man... if you were walking across a bridge and saw someone starting to climb over the rail in order to commit suicide, would you try to stop them, or would you just let them jump because they're "not your bro"? Letting someone go to a for-profit TTT without saying anything is the same thing as letting someone commit financial suicide right in front of you. If they really want to jump they'll do it anyways, but I personally would at least try to talk them out of it. :|
I mean I don't know how I'm gonna explain etiquette and how to be polite. Either you think it's important and care about being polite or you don't. But jumping off a fucking bridge is readily distinguishable from going to Coastal. I would obviously tell the dude about to jump off a bridge not to jump off a bridge. I can't believe I am responding to this.

1) Finality and temporality - Jumping off a bridge will extinguish your life. And the dude's literal next action of swinging his leg over the railing will end his life unless I intervene. No matter how bad a decision going to Coastal is in pretty much all situations, it will not immediately extinguish your life.

2) Mental status - The Coastalbro is making a free choice. Whereas in the case of the dude who's about to hurl himself off the bridge, he's probably not making a free will choice in the way we would think of it, there's a good chance he's affected by depression, provocation, or some form of mental problem. There's a good chance he's sick in the head somewhere. He may not be able to make a competent decision and you should say/do something. As a comparison, I probably wouldn't tell someone about to commit ritual seppuku to cut it out (lolpun).

To use maybe a more apt analogy just the other day I saw an acquaintance and he made a joke relating to his drug dealing activities (which I did not know about) and I just laughed politely. He's not my bro and he didn't ask for my advice so it's not my fucking business.
you gotta pound the pavement and make those contacts man. seems like a good guy to know

did you at least ask his rate for a quad

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu May 30, 2013 2:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Regulus wrote:

This may be my favorite post you have ever written.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Doesn't have to be direct cash in hand. Could be that the advisor is lazy/ignorant, and enjoys those weeklong all expense paid informational "conferences"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”