How accurate is law school predictor? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hopeful4lawschool

New

How accurate is law school predictor?

Post by hopeful4lawschool » Mon May 27, 2013 5:43 pm

I typed into law school predictor my 168 LSAT score and lower gpa, and then played around with it to determine my chances with a higher score (retake) of 170 or higher, I had someone tell me Law school predictor was worth nothing because if you type in a 0.5 gpa with a 170 plus law school predictor will say even that has a chance of a top 100 (and obviously no one can graduate with that low of gpa)

So is law school predictor accurate at all Or just a joke? And why is the newest law school predictor more lenient then the one on the LSAC website?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: How accurate is law school predictor?

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 27, 2013 6:03 pm

lawschoolnumbers.com

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon May 27, 2013 6:10 pm

mylsn.info

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon May 27, 2013 6:11 pm

t-14orbust wrote:mylsn.info
Actual applicants and their actual results... might be SLIGHTLY skewed due to self-selection

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon May 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Also, not that it really matters, someone could potentially have a .5(or close to something that horrible) LSDAS GPA and still have graduated because of things like NCs being 0s and F's at previous insitutions. Although it is highly unlikely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon May 27, 2013 6:22 pm

t-14orbust wrote:Also, not that it really matters, someone could potentially have a .5(or close to something that horrible) LSDAS GPA and still have graduated because of things like NCs being 0s and F's at previous insitutions. Although it is highly unlikely.
yeah but IIRC you can't go to law school with under a 2.0

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Mon May 27, 2013 6:29 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Also, not that it really matters, someone could potentially have a .5(or close to something that horrible) LSDAS GPA and still have graduated because of things like NCs being 0s and F's at previous insitutions. Although it is highly unlikely.
You're probably right

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:13 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Out of curiosity is that an ABA rule?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 am

hopeful4lawschool wrote:I typed into law school predictor my 168 LSAT score and lower gpa, and then played around with it to determine my chances with a higher score (retake) of 170 or higher, I had someone tell me Law school predictor was worth nothing because if you type in a 0.5 gpa with a 170 plus law school predictor will say even that has a chance of a top 100 (and obviously no one can graduate with that low of gpa)

So is law school predictor accurate at all Or just a joke? And why is the newest law school predictor more lenient then the one on the LSAC website?
dood

LSP says how accurate it is

On the website

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=173

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm

hopeful4lawschool wrote:I typed into law school predictor my 168 LSAT score and lower gpa, and then played around with it to determine my chances with a higher score (retake) of 170 or higher, I had someone tell me Law school predictor was worth nothing because if you type in a 0.5 gpa with a 170 plus law school predictor will say even that has a chance of a top 100 (and obviously no one can graduate with that low of gpa)

LSP is garbage in general, and it's completely worthless for splitters. LSAC's system is a waste as well. Use LSN and myLSN.info.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Ti Malice wrote:LSP is garbage in general, and it's completely worthless for splitters. LSAC's system is a waste as well. Use LSN and myLSN.info.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 pm

LSP presumably uses equations to compare applicants by an index formula, and because of this, to LSP an applicant with a GPA of .5 and LSAT of 175 might be considered to be the same as an applicant with a GPA of 3.8 and an LSAT score of 170. These two applicants are clearly not the same, but because LSP is said to use index formulas it might treat them the same. This means that it is of limited usefulness for splitters, and doesn't take into account the full intracasies of each school's admission practices. For example, an applicant with a 3.8 GPA and an LSAT score of 169 has virtually no chance at getting in to UVA, but LSP puts them at "Consider"/60%. A 170/3.8, a virtual lock for UVA, is at 63%/"Strong Consider". And then you have schools like Stanford, where LSP will put you at a Strong Consider with a 172/3.85, though a 172/3.85 is a longshot at Stanford without good softs.

IMO these forums throw around a lot of exageration regarding the usefulness of LSP. To say that LSP is "worth nothing" is incorrect, and it's most definitely not "garbage". It has a use - namely, it allows you to input your numbers and, in most cases, get a fairly reasonable estimation of your outcomes. (FWIW, it prediced my decisions almost exactly.) However, it should only be used, in my opinion, as a preliminary resource: to decide what schools you should apply to, you really want to look at LSN. (I focus on deciding where to apply to, because this is my biggest concern - people ending up applying only to, say, HYSCCN, becasue of what one calculator says, and then being rejected at all of them when they could have, perhaps, received a full scholarship from a lower ranked school that they would have attended if they knew they weren't going to be accepted to the T6.) This is similar to USNews - not worthless, but only a first resource, which should be supplemented (or later ignored in favor of) other resources like LST.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”