Should I apply to American Law Schools? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Airbum88

New

Should I apply to American Law Schools?

Post by Airbum88 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 pm

I am from Canada but one day I want to practice law in the United States. I am considering applying to law schools in the US but the employment numbers and the amount of debt that I will accrue is worrying me. After graduation, I won't have a visa to work for US firms unless I am sponsored but that's wishing for the best since there are tons for other American law students are probably dying for the same job. I figure if I apply to American law schools, I have to aim for the a T14 school but even if I enter one, I am concerned about my chances.

Here is something about me. I graduated with a BA Joint Honors in Economics and Mathematics. My GPA is not super high (I'm not exactly sure what it is because Canada uses a 0-100 scale). After graduation, I taught English in Japan for two years and I learned Japanese while I was there. Afterwards, I went to Florida State University's Film School and got an MFA degree in Screenwriting. Next, I moved to Los Angeles for a year and did some internships for some film production companies.

Anyway, I'm making this post because I want to hear some of your insights as to whether I should apply and enrol in an T14 American law school? And, if you are an international student or a graduate, I would love to hear your opinions as well.

Gold

Re: Should I apply to American Law Schools?

Post by 20141023 » Sun May 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 1:59 am

Stay in Canada, and practice there.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:54 am

Why would you want to leave Canada, where there's only -like- 16 law schools?

Why would you leave, when Canadian schools are so closely ranked, and all you have to do is top 30% in your class to get on Bay Street :shock: ?

Why would you leave that affordable-Canadian-law school-tuition for our overpriced scam?

You know that there are 150+ law schools in The States, right? All these schools are turning out grads that won't find jobs; turning out grads that are under employed; and turning out bitter grads whom have to bill 2,500 a year...

T14 is not a bed of roses.

(disclaimer: I'm n 0L, so I don't know what I'm talking about)

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Mon May 20, 2013 6:22 am

jas1503 wrote:Why would you want to leave Canada, where there's only -like- 16 law schools?

Why would you leave, when Canadian schools are so closely ranked, and all you have to do is top 30% in your class to get on Bay Street :shock: ?

Why would you leave that affordable-Canadian-law school-tuition for our overpriced scam?
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon May 20, 2013 6:30 am

Why wouldn't he want to leave Canada? THe American legal system is excellent. New law schools are popping up by the minute to fill in the dearth of legal jerbs left behind by shitboomers. Just look at UCI law, which will soon become a T20 school in the future. Moreover, almost all graduates from American law schools carry reasonable debt-loads post-graduation, so you're not making a mistake by coming here, OP.

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:57 am

Lol

OP, don't be like me. I'm staring Duquesne, Ole Miss, and UDM in the face. :cry:

Forget that T14 nonsense, instead:

1. Go to Queens/Osgoode/decent Ontario school.

2. Transfer to U of Toronto (you can probably make this step 1).

3. Graduate top 30-40% from U of T.

Best case scenario after graduation: Vault 5 or Vault 10 NYLaw et Ballin' (You don't need a U.S. JD to sit for NY bar.)

Worst case scenario after graduation: 10 month articling, followed by straight-ice'd-out Bay Street Ballin'!

DSman

Silver

Post by DSman » Tue May 21, 2013 5:08 am

jas1503 wrote:Lol

OP, don't be like me. I'm staring Duquesne, Ole Miss, and UDM in the face. :cry:

Forget that T14 nonsense, instead:

1. Go to Queens/Osgoode/decent Ontario school.

2. Transfer to U of Toronto (you can probably make this step 1).

3. Graduate top 30-40% from U of T.

Best case scenario after graduation: Vault 5 or Vault 10 NYLaw et Ballin' (You don't need a U.S. JD to sit for NY bar.)

Worst case scenario after graduation: 10 month articling, followed by straight-ice'd-out Bay Street Ballin'!
This seems unnecessary and counterproductive.

OP, go to school where you want to practice, end of discussion. Do you want to be a lawyer in Canada or the US? If the US, go to a t14. If Canada, go to, well any school depending on the region you want. Any Ontario schools, preferably U of T for Bay Street works. If not, then Osgoode, Western, Queens. UBC/Vic for BC. U of A/C for Alberta. Dal is considered decent in general.

Theres no need to transfer to U of T.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 am

Ditch the frozen tundra. Go to T14 and snag a US hottie. Stay top 30%, get married, work big law together, and be rich. After you've worked for 5-10 pop out a couple bambinos, get a house in the suburbs, send the kids to private schools.

You're welcome.

:)

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 am

I'm an international student as well, OP. I would say for anyone in this situation where you won't be able to take out federal loans and you'll have to rely on some sort of visa sponsorship to be able to work in the US after you graduate, it's pretty much T-14 for free or close to free for HY (I'm not putting the typical HYS, because AFAIK only HY give need-based aid to international students).

Anything other than that is too risky. Hell, even T-14 for almost free is probably still risky as an international b/c you still have to pay for COL and get sponsored by a firm when you start working. I would think the risk is lowered by the fact that you're Canadian and qualify for a TN visa, but definitely think things over before making any decisions. I'm not familiar with the situation in Canada w/ schools & the legal market, but you might find out it makes a lot more sense to stay there after evaluating all your options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”