3.19 w/ kids Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: 3.19 w/ kids

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm

do it for your kids and don't go to law school

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Please, please, please take that GI bill and military boost to a school that is worth it. UW at the very worst but like people said shoot for a T14 like UVA or Northwestern. GPA might have sunk you at Duke but they have the Alaska law review, I would not be surprised if they have a good relationship with judges and lawyers there.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 pm

What are you trying to do in AK? It seems the local firms here are full of shockingly scary TTTT grads, so you might be ok with decent ties.

That said, I'd still aim higher. Boalt won't have that GPA, but you may have success elsewhere (I have yet to come across an NU grad in BIGGOLDMININGLAW, but I think the really big companies keep their in house in Texas, anyway)

NU is a good place to AIM if you kill the LSAT.
UW is a bunch of cheapskates so don't expect any money if you get in.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 pm

What are good reasons to go to law school then? I've been there and done that and law school is the path for me to achieve my goals. They're probably different than yours, that's ok. I'm 32 and I have mad work experience from the military to commercial fishing to the law and many areas in between.

Maybe you shouldn't go to law school until you get a broader vision of the way the world works and how to make it work better. Otherwise you are likely to end up a miserable big law asshole deep in debt with no sense of community.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 9:56 pm

rebexness wrote:What are you trying to do in AK? It seems the local firms here are full of shockingly scary TTTT grads, so you might be ok with decent ties.

That said, I'd still aim higher. Boalt won't have that GPA, but you may have success elsewhere (I have yet to come across an NU grad in BIGGOLDMININGLAW, but I think the really big companies keep their in house in Texas, anyway)

NU is a good place to AIM if you kill the LSAT.
UW is a bunch of cheapskates so don't expect any money if you get in.
Money isn't much of an issue I've got 3 years of GI bill left. I'd like to start out in the GAL or AAGs office doing child protection work I have a strong interest in ICWA law and doing what I can to ensure that it's being complied with. And eventually I want to be a small town lawyer somewhere like Cordova, Seward or Homer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 pm

You might also consider UO, I think they may give out more scholly money than UW and they probably place the same up here, or close to it, if you have some connections.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Fri May 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I have thought about UO. I just can't pass up the free rent/childcare/family support in Seattle, and my wife is going into a very specific phd program at UW.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat May 18, 2013 2:22 am

sublime12089 wrote: as I was WL with a 3.73/166.

YP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat May 18, 2013 2:33 am

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat May 18, 2013 3:23 am

Because sublime12089 was above UW's medians.

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Sat May 18, 2013 3:55 am

Yea, I asked before I searched. What kind of historian am I? My excuse is that it's late and I was between sections on a PT.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 am

chugachjed wrote: Why not Seattle U? Lots of students but their overall philosophy seems to jive with mine. Social and economic justice are my motivators.
the philosophy stuff is irrelevant. they know prospective students love to hear the save-the-world spiel. if they believed in "economic justice" (whatever that is), they wouldn't be charging what the charge to teach you basically nothing. dog and pony show etc.

i wouldn't go to Seattle U for reasons too numerous to list. in fact, i wouldn't go even if it was free unless my goal was to set up shop straight out of law school in alaska, montana, or idaho, had enough money to survive not making any money for a while, and strong ties to the aforementioned areas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 18, 2013 11:33 am

chugachjed wrote:Money isn't much of an issue I've got 3 years of GI bill left. I'd like to start out in the GAL or AAGs office doing child protection work I have a strong interest in ICWA law and doing what I can to ensure that it's being complied with. And eventually I want to be a small town lawyer somewhere like Cordova, Seward or Homer.
Good for you - best of luck to you.

(Since you have the GI bill, I agree with the folks suggesting UW - I know you said ICWA specifically, not Indian law generally, but I think they're a decent place for Indian law. I do think it would be a better gig than Seattle.)

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Sat May 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Just repeating as others have said, don't go to Seattle. 47.1% of them got some form of legal job. If you go there, flip a coin on if you'll ever be able to do anything with your degree. 67% at UW, weigh your chances there

If you go to UV / NU its about 75-80%

Make your decision based on these numbers. Although they are rough estimates, probably pretty close to accurate

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 pm

What's with all the East coast rec's? I've been there and the skiing sucks, bad. Nowhere without good skiing is worth consideration.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed May 22, 2013 1:47 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Just repeating as others have said, don't go to Seattle. 47.1% of them got some form of legal job. If you go there, flip a coin on if you'll ever be able to do anything with your degree. 67% at UW, weigh your chances there

If you go to UV / NU its about 75-80%

Make your decision based on these numbers. Although they are rough estimates, probably pretty close to accurate
Those 80%+ at UVA/NU are very different quality legal jobs than the kind the 47% at Seattle get or the 67% that UW get...

chugachjed

New

Post by chugachjed » Sun May 26, 2013 1:29 pm

sublime12089 wrote:
chugachjed wrote: I don't think they care much about kids but kids go a long way in explaining my less than stellar gpa. 3.25/166 getting in is encouraging, I wonder if it makes any difference that my wife is going there too. Either way I'm perfectly content with Seattle U. Mostly because of the free rent, the GI bill, and proximity to good skiing
chugachjed wrote:What's with all the East coast rec's? I've been there and the skiing sucks, bad. Nowhere without good skiing is worth consideration.

I don't think the skiing thing is nearly as important as you are making it out to be.
I think you don't ski... In school and life you have to stay sharp and have a clear head to succeed, even only skiing once or twice a week keeps me sharp. Climbing mountains is meditation, skiing down is flow. Meditate, flow, repeat=happiness regardless of anything else.

I PT ~5 points higher after a day of skiing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”