How much does work experience really matter? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johnnybruin

New

How much does work experience really matter?

Post by johnnybruin » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Folks,

For a person taking a gap year between undergrad and law school, how much does work experience really matter? Would it be more wise to spend more time studying the LSAT (taking it in Oct.)?

I've had pre-med friends go travel for a year, work in a restaurant to cool their heads off, and other "non-remarkable" post-undergrad positions and still do fine in terms of admissions.

In sum, how does WE fit into the formula: "LSAT+GPA" for law schools?

Thanks!

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Re: How much does work experience really matter?

Post by WahooLaw24 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:06 pm

If it's really good WE, it could help during your legal job hunt one day.

As far as admissions go, though, it's not going to matter a whole lot. LSAT is way more important. Unless you desperately need money, go part time and study for the LSAT.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:15 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 pm

If relevant to the area of law you intend to practice --> a lot. Otherwise, not that much. EDIT. Poor reading comprehension skills on my part. If you are a 0L applying to law school as is the OP, then work experience is a soft, which means it does not count for much at all.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johnnybruin

New

Post by johnnybruin » Mon May 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks all!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon May 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Not sure the experience itself matters much, but adcoms definitely do not want to see a huge résumé gap where you lived in your parents basement and SSM for a year before starting law school.

johnnybruin

New

Post by johnnybruin » Mon May 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Not sure the experience itself matters much, but adcoms definitely do not want to see a huge résumé gap where you lived in your parents basement and SSM for a year before starting law school.
Agreed. It's not that I plan on not finding work during the gap between undergrad and 1L, but I do want to travel for a few months (<2 months) and unwind a bit before heading off to more schooling.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon May 06, 2013 6:06 pm

johnnybruin wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Not sure the experience itself matters much, but adcoms definitely do not want to see a huge résumé gap where you lived in your parents basement and SSM for a year before starting law school.
Agreed. It's not that I plan on not finding work during the gap between undergrad and 1L, but I do want to travel for a few months (<2 months) and unwind a bit before heading off to more schooling.
I'm in the same boat. Taking a 14 month break living at home and working a little part time job. Can't hurt, especially if you're applying early in the process

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Mon May 06, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm in the midst of a gap year working at a small law firm. I'm not sure it did much for my admissions cycle, but it definitely helped me further develop my professional skills and let me mature a little bit. A fair amount of people who go to law school have already been out of undergrad for a few years and have (hopefully) had time to mature and develop some professional skills. I I feel that a year off can do nothing but help.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Mon May 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Never take a gap year unless you plan on working full time in a related position. Your life started at 18 and ends at 50. I am guessing you are 22, you have already wasted 4 and will waste another 3 in law school. That leaves you with 25. Why would you waste another?

Life doesn't begin until you leave the confines of high school and ends when you get arthritis and other issues that leave you a shell of what you you were when young.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:55 pm

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon May 06, 2013 7:00 pm

TheBiggerMediocre wrote:Never take a gap year unless you plan on working full time in a related position. Your life started at 18 and ends at 50. I am guessing you are 22, you have already wasted 4 and will waste another 3 in law school. That leaves you with 25. Why would you waste another?

Life doesn't begin until you leave the confines of high school and ends when you get arthritis and other issues that leave you a shell of what you you were when young.
This is crazy bad advice. Some of the worst advice I've seen on this website, honestly.

Life begins when you're born and ends when you die. In the meantime, you have an obligation to yourself to make the best of it. That means trying out different things and deciding what is right for you given your strengths, weaknesses, temperament, and goals. If you make a mistake, there's no reason to stick with it for another 30 years. You can always do something else. Even a year where you hate your job isn't a waste, it's a learning experience. Now you know what to avoid next time around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm

slack_academic wrote: I'm pretty sure it's just another dumb troll account.
I think I fall for those rather easily.

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Mon May 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Nothing wrong with smoking a little or a lot of pot during a year off

johnnybruin

New

Post by johnnybruin » Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
    johnnybruin wrote:
    I'm in the same boat. Taking a 14 month break living at home and working a little part time job. Can't hurt, especially if you're applying early in the process
    Sounds good! Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johnnybruin

New

Post by johnnybruin » Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 pm

Keasbey wrote:I'm in the midst of a gap year working at a small law firm. I'm not sure it did much for my admissions cycle, but it definitely helped me further develop my professional skills and let me mature a little bit. A fair amount of people who go to law school have already been out of undergrad for a few years and have (hopefully) had time to mature and develop some professional skills. I I feel that a year off can do nothing but help.
    I definitely agree that some experience is better than no experience, but I do have a summer internship at a Fortune 500 company and some local government internships on the resume as well as other previous jobs. I suppose I'm kind of a "non-traditional" applicant given my variety of work experiences.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 pm

johnnybruin wrote:I suppose I'm kind of a "non-traditional" applicant given my variety of work experiences.
    You're probably not.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue May 07, 2013 1:04 pm

johnnybruin wrote: I definitely agree that some experience is better than no experience, but I do have a summer internship at a Fortune 500 company and some local government internships on the resume as well as other previous jobs. I suppose I'm kind of a "non-traditional" applicant given my variety of work experiences.
    Yea, no offense, but that sounds pretty much like normal for non-K-JD. Lots of us have done cool shit.
    ALeal90 wrote:Nothing wrong with smoking a little or a lot of pot during a year off
        :D

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 pm

I totally plan on doing some spiritual cleansing using herbal remedies during my time off. No doubt about it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johnnybruin

New

Post by johnnybruin » Tue May 07, 2013 2:10 pm

buddytyler wrote:
        johnnybruin wrote:I suppose I'm kind of a "non-traditional" applicant given my variety of work experiences.
        You're probably not.
        Hence the "kind of."

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBiggerMediocre

Bronze

Post by TheBiggerMediocre » Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm

cinephile wrote:
        TheBiggerMediocre wrote:Never take a gap year unless you plan on working full time in a related position. Your life started at 18 and ends at 50. I am guessing you are 22, you have already wasted 4 and will waste another 3 in law school. That leaves you with 25. Why would you waste another?

This is crazy bad advice. Some of the worst advice I've seen on this website, honestly.

Life begins when you're born and ends when you die. In the meantime, you have an obligation to yourself to make the best of it. That means trying out different things and deciding what is right for you given your strengths, weaknesses, temperament, and goals. If you make a mistake, there's no reason to stick with it for another 30 years. You can always do something else. Even a year where you hate your job isn't a waste, it's a learning experience. Now you know what to avoid next time around.
        Yes life does begin when you are born but you are pretty much stuck in the same mold as everybody else until about 16 or so then usually you get stuck in the education bind for several years. Yes of course you should make the best of it and try out as many things but as quickly as possible. If you actually make a large mistake, then there is a good reason to start over.

slack_academic wrote:
        cinephile wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's just another dumb troll account.
        Nope not a dumb troll, just another perspective that is apparently the opposite of yours.

keval81

New

Post by keval81 » Thu May 09, 2013 2:23 pm

It depends on the school. Some didn't seem to mind my gap year, while others (namely Northwestern and Chicago) asked me to speak at length about my job and the activities I've undertaken since graduation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
        Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”