What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qwertyboard

Bronze

Re: What is better: A T14 JD or a Caribbean MD?

Post by qwertyboard » Fri May 03, 2013 6:20 pm

OP where are you from? PM me if you don't want to out yourself...

Also, I know 2 people who got their MD in the caribbean, did their residency in a top 5 hospital in the US and is are earning about 400k a year... doesn't happen to everyone but it's possible....

I must say.. they did score enough in the MCAT to attend a top med schools in the US but decided against that because they wouldn't incur in any debt in the caribbean... so 400k and no debt...

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Your OP doesn't make much sense.

How do you figure you can "easily" or "surely" get into a T-14 law school but yet you would have to go to a bottom of the barrel medical school outside of the US? If you have the grades for a T-14 law school, wouldn't you be able to get into some respectable medical schools in the US? Obviously, the MCAT matters as well. But in general, one would think that if you are able to do well on one standardized test this would SOMEWHAT carry over to other ones as well. I can't image you would get like a 97% percentile score on the LSAT and then pull a 60% percentile score on the MCAT.

If I had created this thread, I would have about half a dozen clowns telling me I am troll. If I intentionally tried to troll, these same half dozen clowns would probably nominate me for poster of the year award at TLS and say I provided tremendous insight.

Ok. Carry on OP. But I still am dumbfounded by your orignal thread post.
MCAT tests knowledge of subject matter, through. It's completely different than the LSAT. And getting a 3.8 while prelaw is a totally different story than getting a 3.8 while premed and taking orgo, physics, bio, etc.
Fair enough. This is in line with what my pre-med buddies have told me. But I still don't see how OP would be looking at T-14 law schools and not at least "TT" or "TTT" medical schools within the U.S. Generally, the vast majority of people from most medical schools in the U.S. have good outcomes. So are you saying OP you cannot get into "any" medical schools within the U.S. but yet your GPA would make you competitive for the T-14? I don't get it.
He could be talking about med schools in Puerto Rico... the minimum MCAT required to be considered is like a combined 18 points out of the 45 scale... So HE could be competitive in the t14 Law Schools and only able to attend Med Schools in the Caribbean.. I don't think this is a flame...

valrath

New

Post by valrath » Fri May 03, 2013 6:51 pm

qwertyboard wrote:OP where are you from? PM me if you don't want to out yourself...

Also, I know 2 people who got their MD in the caribbean, did their residency in a top 5 hospital in the US and is are earning about 400k a year... doesn't happen to everyone but it's possible....

I must say.. they did score enough in the MCAT to attend a top med schools in the US but decided against that because they wouldn't incur in any debt in the caribbean... so 400k and no debt...

That's strange, I thought Caribbean med schools were some of the most expensive, especially with that CoL

qwertyboard

Bronze

Post by qwertyboard » Fri May 03, 2013 11:41 pm

valrath wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:OP where are you from? PM me if you don't want to out yourself...

That's strange, I thought Caribbean med schools were some of the most expensive, especially with that CoL

not really click on the schools of the following link --LinkRemoved--.
COA is low.. PR school are just as accredited as US schools you take the same test step usmle etc.. col could be average compared to the us if you want to live in a nice place if not it could be lower than the average..

Edit average mcat score university of pr school of med = 24

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 pm

My friend at a US medical school was amazed when I told him 92% of OCI participants from CLS '13 got at least one offer. T14s may never have the 100% match rates that MDs have, but come on, a T14 JD is better than Caribbean medical school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”