Columbia, NYU, Penn with low GPA high LSAT. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RemainsOfTheDay

New

Columbia, NYU, Penn with low GPA high LSAT.

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi guys, I need some advice.

I plan on attending law school straight out of undergrad. By the time I apply, I'm gonna have GPA of 3.36. I had some family problems, which affected my GPA..I'll definitely be explaining my situation in an addendum. My GPA trend is on a sharp upward curve. I plan to keep my semester GPAs at 4.0 until I graduate. (I calculated and if everything goes as planned, I'll graduate with a 3.5 GPA.)

I took the LSAT and I scored a 179. What can I do to increase my chances at t14 (especially NYU, Columbia, and Penn?)

Thanks in advance, guys :3

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Columbia, NYU, Penn with low GPA high LSAT.

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:17 pm

RemainsOfTheDay wrote:Hi guys, I need some advice.

I plan on attending law school straight out of undergrad. By the time I apply, I'm gonna have GPA of 3.36. I had some family problems, which affected my GPA..I'll definitely be explaining my situation in an addendum. My GPA trend is on a sharp upward curve. I plan to keep my semester GPAs at 4.0 until I graduate. (I calculated and if everything goes as planned, I'll graduate with a 3.5 GPA.)

I took the LSAT and I scored a 179. What can I do to increase my chances at t14 (especially NYU, Columbia, and Penn?)

Thanks in advance, guys :3
Honestly, you seem locked for NYU. Decent chance at CLS. I would just focus on getting that GPA up -- if you can, take a year off and do a community college that gives A+'s for a year and you'll get solid money too

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:20 pm

You've already taken an official LSAT administration?

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Edit: Scooped by MOTM

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Is that an official LSAT score? You crushed it man.
Look on my profile for my numbers and how my cycle went.
You're pretty much guaranteed a better cycle with your stats. Just nail your ps, ds, and addendums. And submit early, like the first day they start accepting apps early.
Keep that gpa high, show dat upward trend, and get yourself a sick gift.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You've already taken an official LSAT administration?
Yes, I took the February 2013 LSAT.
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Honestly, you seem locked for NYU. Decent chance at CLS. I would just focus on getting that GPA up -- if you can, take a year off and do a community college that gives A+'s for a year and you'll get solid money too
Thanks for your advice. What could I do if I can't take extra classes?
Tekrul wrote:Is that an official LSAT score? You crushed it man.
Look on my profile for my numbers and how my cycle went.
You're pretty much guaranteed a better cycle with your stats. Just nail your ps, ds, and addendums. And submit early, like the first day they start accepting apps early.
Keep that gpa high, show dat upward trend, and get yourself a sick gift.
Thanks man. I almost died crying when I got my score lol. *checking your profile*

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Congrats on the great score! I Just had to check, we get a lot of people saying "I got a 179", when what they meant to be saying was "Suppose I get a 179".

Provided you keep your GPA up N is almost a certainty. Great shot at the other as well, also good money from UVA or NU.

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Congrats on the great score! I Just had to check, we get a lot of people saying "I got a 179", when what they meant to be saying was "Suppose I get a 179".

Provided you keep your GPA up N is almost a certainty. Great shot at the other as well, also good money from UVA or NU.
haha, thanks for checkin' and thanks for the encouraging words. I'm just really worried about the low GPA.. 3.36... haha.. Can my fall grades help me in the admission process even if I apply in August/September? (If all goes well, I expect the GPA to raise to 3.44.)

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Would EDing at Columbia/NYU significantly increase my chances? And if I ED, am I eligible for scholarships/aid the next two years even if I get none my first year?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:49 pm

RemainsOfTheDay wrote:Would EDing at Columbia/NYU significantly increase my chances? And if I ED, am I eligible for scholarships/aid the next two years even if I get none my first year?
No (maybe because you'd be paying sticker) and no

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm

RemainsOfTheDay wrote:Would EDing at Columbia/NYU significantly increase my chances? And if I ED, am I eligible for scholarships/aid the next two years even if I get none my first year?
I wouldn't ED anywhere (except maybe NU). You're going to get some good $$$, so limiting yourself isn't a good idea.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Agreed, No ED.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Not saying you should do it, but scholarship chances at NYU don't really get affected by ED

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 pm

I think post graduate work experience will help. I think that had a ton to do with the results I had. 3.5, lower LSAT, in from Columbia down.

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:56 pm

sinfiery wrote:No (maybe because you'd be paying sticker) and no
omg. no money all three years?? ok, goodbye ED.
NoodleyOne wrote:I wouldn't ED anywhere (except maybe NU). You're going to get some good $$$, so limiting yourself isn't a good idea.
Where do you think I'll have high chances of getting good money?
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Agreed, No ED.
*nod*
JamMasterJ wrote:Not saying you should do it, but scholarship chances at NYU don't really get affected by ED
Duly noted. Thank you.
fruitoftheloom wrote:I think post graduate work experience will help. I think that had a ton to do with the results I had. 3.5, lower LSAT, in from Columbia down.
Oh! I didn't think of that.. Could you tell me about your work experience?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:06 pm

ED to NU comes with a full ride. Might be a good move for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:09 pm

If you get into NYU/lower 14, you're probably looking at at least half tuition schollys from the places that accept you. You're going to have some WLs due to GPA whore schools and YP whore schools, but the ones where you make it should give you good $$$. I think someone linked my LSN profile, you can check that out to give you an idea.

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:ED to NU comes with a full ride. Might be a good move for you.
So tempting.... let the research on NU and Chicago begin.
NoodleyOne wrote:If you get into NYU/lower 14, you're probably looking at at least half tuition schollys from the places that accept you. You're going to have some WLs due to GPA whore schools and YP whore schools, but the ones where you make it should give you good $$$. I think someone linked my LSN profile, you can check that out to give you an idea.
ahahahahha GPA whore schools. I will look at your profile. Thanks :)

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I think post graduate work experience will help. I think that had a ton to do with the results I had. 3.5, lower LSAT, in from Columbia down.
Oh! I didn't think of that.. Could you tell me about your work experience?
I worked as an adjuster. From what I've read, any job that will give you something to talk about is fine.

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:I worked as an adjuster. From what I've read, any job that will give you something to talk about is fine.
Law-related job or can it be in other fields? What are some positions available for college graduates? (Excuse my nubbishness.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 pm

RemainsOfTheDay wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:I worked as an adjuster. From what I've read, any job that will give you something to talk about is fine.
Law-related job? What are some positions available for college graduates? Legal assistant? (Excuse my nubbishness.)
I hear a lot of people work as paralegals, you could try being a receptionist / legal assistant in a firm if you want to see if you'll like the job. I personally think being an adjuster should give you a pretty good idea of whether you can hack it as an attorney or not, but the job can be rough and it's not for everyone. Whatever you do, it seems like schools just value work experience (any work experience).

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks so much for the responses guys. I love how y'all are so fast :)

I have a strong preference to CLS, N, and P because I want to stay close to home. For me, if I do get into t14 schools including the three I've mentioned, I'd choose CLS, N, or P even if it means more debt. So I guess now I need to figure out what more I can do to improve my chances.

Besides keeping my grades as high as possible, you guys suggested 1) taking community college courses and 2) working. Do you guys have any more advice? I don't think I'll be taking post-graduate classes and I am very iffy about working (I'd rather go straight to law school.)

A couple of you said I had very good chances for N which is AMAZING news for me. Totally motivates me to do my very best (I know. Sounds corny.) If you guys have any more comments or advice, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Here's a cute cat gif to say thanks.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/11a6d71e9200 ... o1_400.gif
(I guess we can't attach images or gifs? or is it cus I'm new? :p)

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:55 pm

You can post images and gifs after you've been here for 100 posts & two weeks. There was a dude who kept creating accounts to post scat photos, hence the new rules.

RemainsOfTheDay

New

Post by RemainsOfTheDay » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:01 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:You can post images and gifs after you've been here for 100 posts & two weeks. There was a dude who kept creating accounts to post scat photos, hence the new rules.
there's always that one guy.. smh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”