Advice on getting into Harvard Law Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Advice on getting into Harvard Law

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 am

Enjoy COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL.

pupshaw

Silver

Re: Advice on getting into Harvard Law

Post by pupshaw » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 am

bee wrote:
iblisean wrote:Oh, I had no idea. I guess I have to look into it more; I'm new to TLS and law school research. I was thinking I would work out a specialization when I'm in law school after meeting professors and other students. The first thing that inspired me to consider studying law was civil rights law so I think I'd be leaning towards that field. Still need to do more research this summer though.
I don't mean to be condescending, but it is an extremely poor decision to go into law school expecting to practice civil rights or international law. Civil rights is just as obscure and laughable a prospect as int'l, if not more so. There cannot be more than a handful of these jobs in the entire country. Any jobs that do exist in "civil rights law" are going to extremely qualified applicants with years and years of relevant work exp. and prestigious degrees. These kinds of jobs are EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY competitive and hordes of starry eyed idealists who graduated from HYS at the top of their class kill each other over them all the time. I would strongly encourage you to do a shitton more research ASAP if you plan to go to LS soon.
This is a bit overstated. The fact is, if you go to HYS and show a commitment to PI work (i.e. don't do EIP), then there are civil rights jobs out there.

While I agree that H is facially a reach for OP, I don't think there's much info about people applying from within other Harvard graduate programs for joint degrees. Also taking into account OP's strong softs, I think it's certainly worth an app--doubly so if the LSAT goes up on retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”