UK LLB Honours = 4-Year US UG? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CorpusChristi

New

UK LLB Honours = 4-Year US UG?

Post by CorpusChristi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:13 am

Hello,

As I am new to this forums, please pardon any mistakes I may have made setting up this topic. I apologise in advance. I write to you with regards to the application process and the foreign applicants transcripts.

In 2012, I thought I'd be applying to a J.D. program in the USA, and thus, I sent my 1st and 2nd year transcripts ( as I am a 3rd-year student, graduating this June ) to have them assessed by LSAC. The standard LLB Honours, Bachelor of Laws degree lasts 3 years in the UK ( with the exception of Scotland, where most of the universities require 4 years of undergraduate education ). However, as I am writing 3 dissertations this year, it turned out that I am more busy than I thought it'd be so I have to postpone the application for the 2013/14 cycle.

Nevertheless, yesterday, I looked at my LSAC account and saw that my transcripts had been assessed. What I am curious about is the fact that it reads: "2/3 years completed, graduating in 2013; equivalent to 2 US undergraduate years." It is very likely that I misuderstood the information, but isn't any foreign student, with UG degree received outside the US, required to have the equivalent to 4-years US undergraduate education prior to Applying To the Law School? Following this track of thinking, when I graduate this summer, I'll have completed 3/3 years, which would be the equivalent to 3-years US undergraduate degree. Hence, is it automatically equivalent to 4-US years, even though it's, in fact, 3 years? As I have seen many, many people applying to the USA straight after their LLB completion in the UK, both England and Scotland, my question, if answered, would probably help the other future foreign applicants.

I'll add that I study at University of London and have received "above average" for my 2/3 years. Hopefully, receiving first class honours in the end, I'll get "superior".

I'd like to apologise once again should my topic be inappropriate for this subforum. I appreciate all the help and time you put into answering my question.

Best regards

banjo

Silver

Re: UK LLB Honours = 4-Year US UG?

Post by banjo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 am

After you have graduated, send in your final transcripts. Your LLB will be equivalent to a BA degree. There is no requirement that either degree take four years to complete.

CorpusChristi

New

Re: UK LLB Honours = 4-Year US UG?

Post by CorpusChristi » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you for your reply. I've only been worried because they wrote "equivalent to 2 years US UG education" in one of the sections.

Thanks again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”