ED to Columbia? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rutgers17

Bronze

ED to Columbia?

Post by rutgers17 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm

delete
Last edited by rutgers17 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curious66

Bronze

Re: ED to Columbia?

Post by curious66 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:32 pm

rutgers17 wrote:I have a 3.93 LSAC undergrad GPA and I'm studying for the June LSAT. I'm currently getting my masters in Politics & Education at Columbia Teachers College and I have pretty good soft factors. If I could get like a 170+ on the LSAT (i'm hoping closer to 175), would it be a mistake to do ED to Columbia? I know this is where I want to go but I'm hoping to get some scholarship money. Would applying ED take me out of the running for scholarships? Thanks!
Only do ED if Columbia is truly your first choice. ED may or maynot effect your ability to get money / aid but ultimately, Columbia has excellent job prospects so, hopefully you would recover the $ even at sticker. However, only do this if Columbia is your first choice -- if you truly get a 170 LSAT with the 3.93 GPA, you are likely to get $$ from the other T14's.. so, just do your research. I am debt adverse so I would sprinkle the T14's and then pick the best $$ offer & fit from there.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:34 pm

rutgers17 wrote:I have a 3.93 LSAC undergrad GPA and I'm studying for the June LSAT. I'm currently getting my masters in Politics & Education at Columbia Teachers College and I have pretty good soft factors. If I could get like a 170+ on the LSAT (i'm hoping closer to 175), would it be a mistake to do ED to Columbia? I know this is where I want to go but I'm hoping to get some scholarship money. Would applying ED take me out of the running for scholarships? Thanks!
If you get a good LSAT, screw EDing, go for a Hammy. Seriously, take in June, and if you don't hit your goal, retake in October. You have a ton of time... get that LSAT up.

Also, it could potentially open up HYS.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Columbia's financial aid seems more of a mystery than most. I wouldn't risk it, personally - your GPA is great, just get a decent (170+) LSAT and you should be fine. Get a 175+ and you're in the running for a Hamilton, but rumor has it that those are reserved for students they want to pry away from HLS. If you're committed ED, they don't need to do shit to pry you away. You're theirs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”