The 20 most "overrated" and "underrated" law schools. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ms9

Gold

The 20 most "overrated" and "underrated" law schools.

Post by ms9 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I disagree with the verbiage here, I would call this "intellectually appreciated" and not "rated". Still, the disparity of peer assessment rankings as they relate to LSAT scores is interesting. Any theories why some underachieve and other overachieve the peer rankings versus inputs?

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... most-.html

guano

Gold

Re: The 20 most "overrated" and "underrated" law schools.

Post by guano » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:25 pm

What a useless exercise.
I doubt even people in legal academia give a shit

Edit: no offense intended, but at most this'll get a "hmm. Interesting" reaction before being promptly forgotten by most readers

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm

i didn't even find it interesting.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:41 pm

How is Penn not on there?

Bronze

Post by 06162014123 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

guano wrote:What a useless exercise.
+1

The words "overrated" and "underrated" could be reversed if we were talking about applicants.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Edit: no offense intended, but at most this'll get a "hmm. Interesting" reaction before being promptly forgotten by most readers
I certainly don't take offense. I am interested why some peer assessments would seem to not align with input metrics, as many faculty members place a high emphasis on this. When you go to faculty conferences and you work in admissions you get a ton of "what is your median LSAT going to be this year?" and none or very few "what is your median gpa?"

I think the 40 are pretty much meaningless though, yes. Note that regent produced the initial list.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 pm

TripTrip wrote:
+1

The words "overrated" and "underrated" could be reversed if we were talking about applicants.
Waiting for someone to come on TLS to say "I should totally go to Florida Intl. it's underrated per this random list from some dude at Regent."

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:23 pm

I see a guy from Regent gave them the spread sheet. I also see it happens to be one of the most underrated schools on the list based on this pretty much pointless comparison of LSAT to Peer score. I feel he may have done this to try to show Regent should be ranked better or something. Anyhow, I found it interesting California had 5 "underrated schools" and all besides Pepperdine were TTT/TTTT. I wanted to see underrated and overrated with schools actually in the top 50, that would have been much more exciting in my opinion.

edit: Scooped :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Fck yeah, Texas Tech killing it!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:When you go to faculty conferences and you work in admissions you get a ton of "what is your median LSAT going to be this year?" and none or very few "what is your median gpa?"
Isn't that because virtually any law school could have a ridiculous GPA median if they were willing to sacrifice everything else? Whereas not every law school could have an LSAT median over 170, because it would be impossible to attract enough candidates with scores that high.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 pm

TripTrip wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:When you go to faculty conferences and you work in admissions you get a ton of "what is your median LSAT going to be this year?" and none or very few "what is your median gpa?"
Isn't that because virtually any law school could have a ridiculous GPA median if they were willing to sacrifice everything else? Whereas not every law school could have an LSAT median over 170, because it would be impossible to attract enough candidates with scores that high.
That and faculty often put a fine-point on intellectualism over motivation and some personality traits. Also LSAT scores come from the same baseline whereas gpa comes from thousands.

mustached

New

Post by mustached » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm

FWIW, I can definitely see some overlap.

If people see the words "Regent" or "Liberty" any objective type of measurement goes out the window and it's like all they can see is a scene from The Shining with "TTT" painted in Falwell's blood.

It's rough that those contemplating a profession whose gate-keeping test requires critical thinking and rudimentary logic can't see past ideological leanings with which they disagree. Genetic fallacy anyone?

Also, I think Chapman is a lot better school than its ranking deserves. It's pure gold in Orange County, which happens to be a little bit of heaven on earth.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt; I wouldn't attend any of those schools even with a full scholarship. Well, maybe Regent since they've got Ashcroft.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:24 pm

mustached wrote:FWIW, I can definitely see some overlap.

If people see the words "Regent" or "Liberty" any objective type of measurement goes out the window and it's like all they can see is a scene from The Shining with "TTT" painted in Falwell's blood.

It's rough that those contemplating a profession whose gate-keeping test requires critical thinking and rudimentary logic can't see past ideological leanings with which they disagree. Genetic fallacy anyone?

Also, I think Chapman is a lot better school than its ranking deserves. It's pure gold in Orange County, which happens to be a little bit of heaven on earth.

But take my opinion with a grain of salt; I wouldn't attend any of those schools even with a full scholarship. Well, maybe Regent since they've got Ashcroft.
i loled

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:03 am

If a school was ranked 90 instead of 190 it wouldn't matter. All that matters is employment prospects and "national reach," and only 14 schools have any amount of the latter. Legal academics and administrators EDIT: and dumb applicants need to stop obsessing over shit that doesn't matter.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 am

MikeSpivey wrote:

I certainly don't take offense. I am interested why some peer assessments would seem to not align with input metrics, as many faculty members place a high emphasis on this. When you go to faculty conferences and you work in admissions you get a ton of "what is your median LSAT going to be this year?" and none or very few "what is your median gpa?"

I think the 40 are pretty much meaningless though, yes. Note that regent produced the initial list.
its your job to care.

A quick answer might be to look at ideological or geographic reasons why a professor might choose a lesser school. After that, some schools might prefer having a handful of superstars and the rest of the profs be cheap, while other schools might want a more balanced faculty. But again, this just seems like its taking one barely relevant piece of data and using it as a metric to obtain a desired result (see eg library square footage and the Brennan report)

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 am

I'd rather see a comparison of quality employment and COA vs peer assessment

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jas1503

Bronze

Post by jas1503 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:48 am

Article links to a depressing video. Apparently US News isn't responsible for anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... FM5vxapE#!

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:25 am

jas1503 wrote:Article links to a depressing video. Apparently US News isn't responsible for anything.

I watched that entire thing on March 11th. It was almost as hard to sit through as the "Boom goes the dynamite" video.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm

MikeSpivey wrote:
jas1503 wrote:Article links to a depressing video. Apparently US News isn't responsible for anything.

I watched that entire thing on March 11th. It was almost as hard to sit through as the "Boom goes the dynamite" video.
It's strange to think that guy is essentially a God to some people in the law school community.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 am

OOF that interview was brutal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 am

lawl at Liberty being underrated.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:55 am

God this guy is boring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”