Letters of Rec Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
heywatchitbuddy

New

Letters of Rec Question

Post by heywatchitbuddy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:41 am

So two questions.

First, are two letters of rec standard for all schools? I know that's what's required, but will I be at a disadvantage at all just sending two instead of three?

Secondly, I've heard it stressed that the two required letters must both be academic ones. For the two best recs I'm looking at right now, one is just a regular lecturer who I happen to know well/am liked by, but the other is a professor who I've been basically a research assistant for for the last two semesters. The research hours count for academic credit (and so it's technically a class), but I'm not sure if this is really considered an "academic" LoR. Will it matter at all? Should I tell him to write it a certain way to make it seem more academic and less work related? Thanks

Varys

New

Re: Letters of Rec Question

Post by Varys » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

From what I've heard the letters should convey how well they know you and in what manner, also speak to why you will excel in law school (rather than why you will be a good lawyer.) Also, if you're a recent graduate, academic letters are more important than if you've been out of school for awhile. I'm new to this whole thing so others probably have better information for you.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 pm

The RA letter should be great, depending on what you do for it. If all you do is file stuff and get books from the library or such, it won't be that helpful. If you're doing actual academic work, though - which it sounds like you are, since you describe it as research and you're getting academic credit for it - it doesn't matter that you're doing it for employment - it will still be an academic reference.

heywatchitbuddy

New

Post by heywatchitbuddy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The RA letter should be great, depending on what you do for it. If all you do is file stuff and get books from the library or such, it won't be that helpful. If you're doing actual academic work, though - which it sounds like you are, since you describe it as research and you're getting academic credit for it - it doesn't matter that you're doing it for employment - it will still be an academic reference.

awesome, thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”