Wrong School Name in LOCI Text Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JXander

Silver

Wrong School Name in LOCI Text

Post by JXander » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 am

I thought I could finish my cycle without having committed such a horrible admissions "crime," but I am pretty certain that a recent LOCI I sent to a T14 had the wrong school name in the text of the letter.

The letter should arrive at the school today or tomorrow. Should I call the school asking them to not open the letter, email them, do nothing, or ______ ?

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: Wrong School Name in LOCI Text

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:35 am

Whoops

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 am

Yikes....what was the school? It's probably over for you brah....you could send a new one, or call the school, see if you can speak with the dean, and tell them the mistake you made.

hneedle

New

Post by hneedle » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 am

JXander wrote:I thought I could finish my cycle without having committed such a horrible admissions "crime," but I am pretty certain that a recent LOCI I sent to a T14 had the wrong school name in the text of the letter.

The letter should arrive at the school today or tomorrow. Should I call the school asking them to not open the letter, email them, do nothing, or ______ ?
I did the same thing. I sent an essay about Vanderbilt to Michigan. I called Michigan's office immediately the next morning saying that I had sent the wrong version and that version had "errors"- the woman I talked to said they have to put everything they send you in your file, but she would make a note that the newer version was the one that I wanted read. I thought I was screwed.

I ended up getting in with a small scholarship. It happens- you certainly aren't the first person. I would re-send the correct essay asking the other one not be added to your file and see what they say. Try not to stress too much about it!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:47 am

JXander wrote:I thought I could finish my cycle without having committed such a horrible admissions "crime," but I am pretty certain that a recent LOCI I sent to a T14 had the wrong school name in the text of the letter.

It really depends. Is the letter targeted with specific references to the school or is it generic?

If you're writing a LOCI to NYU,
Dear Berkeley,

I really want to practice in Manhattan and have strong ties there, which is why this school is my first choice.
sounds much better than
Dear Berkeley,

I really want to get admitted and your program is really good and I have strong ties in the area, which is why this school is my first choice.
The first is just an honest mistake, while the second shows you couldn't even put the forethought into crafting a unique letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vzapana

Silver

Post by vzapana » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:48 am

hneedle wrote:

I did the same thing. I sent an essay about Vanderbilt to Michigan. I called Michigan's office immediately the next morning saying that I had sent the wrong version and that version had "errors"- the woman I talked to said they have to put everything they send you in your file, but she would make a note that the newer version was the one that I wanted read. I thought I was screwed.

I ended up getting in with a small scholarship. It happens- you certainly aren't the first person. I would re-send the correct essay asking the other one not be added to your file and see what they say. Try not to stress too much about it!
Yeah georgetown's admissions dean, in a group interview, said a lot of people actually make this mistake. If the applicant contacts the admissions office soon after erring, the applicant is more or less forgiven (at most it was a "negligible minus" on the record, he said). It's only when you don't contact the office that your app gets trashed.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:52 am

cahwc12 wrote:It really depends. Is the letter targeted with specific references to the school or is it generic?
The letter had many specific references to the different programs and clinics I would like to join at the school. The only issue was that at toward end of the letter in my conclusion, I think I mentioned a completely different school.
hneedle wrote:I called Michigan's office immediately the next morning saying that I had sent the wrong version and that version had "errors"- the woman I talked to said they have to put everything they send you in your file, but she would make a note that the newer version was the one that I wanted read.

Ah, thanks. I may do this in the afternoon today.

Thank you for all your help!

NanaP

Bronze

Post by NanaP » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am

Got your PM. I would say just call them , and if it wasn't a generic LOCI, then I would explain that you made an error, and you apologize, and hope for the best...

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks to everyone for your help. I contacted the school and they graciously allowed me to send them a corrected version. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”