Should I Apply Now and Later, or Simply Wait Until Later? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bjorn

New

Should I Apply Now and Later, or Simply Wait Until Later?

Post by Bjorn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:32 pm

So I took the most recent February LSAT WITHOUT the intention of submitting applications for Fall matriculation. I planned on spending the year working on polishing my apps to perfection, and submitting them very early. However, since I've taken the test, several top schools (T-14) have emailed me asking me to apply, waiving fees, and suggesting I may be eligible for scholarships, etc. I honestly did not expect this to happen, and I'm now confused about what to do. Should I submit a hurried round of applications to some target schools and see what happens? After all, I could always apply again next round with a superior PS, etc., if I get no bites, right? And if I DO get accepted to some top schools, wouldn't that make my application seem that much stronger if I then decided to go ahead and apply later this year anyway? Is there any reason not to go ahead and apply? Would it hurt my ultimate chances at a school if I submitted a hurried application now, and applied later this year as well? I'm so ambivalent about what to do!

For reference, I'm a splitter: low GPA (less than 3.5) / high LSAT (170+)
Last edited by Bjorn on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

md22

Bronze

Re: Should I Apply Now, or Wait Until Later this Year?

Post by md22 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Bjorn wrote:So I took the most recent February LSAT WITHOUT the intention of submitting applications for Fall matriculation. I planned on spending the year working on polishing my apps to perfection, and submitting them very early. However, since I've taken the test, several top schools (T-14) have emailed me asking me to apply, waiving fees, and suggesting I may be eligible for scholarships, etc. I honestly did not expect this to happen, and I'm now confused about what to do. Should I submit a hurried round of applications to some target schools and see what happens? After all, I could always apply again next round with a superior PS, etc., if I get no bites, right? And if I DO get accepted to some top schools, wouldn't that make my application seem that much stronger if I then decided to go ahead and apply later this year anyway? Is there any reason not to go ahead and apply? Would it hurt my ultimate chances at a school if I submitted a hurried application now, and applied later this year as well? I'm so ambivalent about what to do!

For reference, I'm a splitter: low GPA (less than 3.5) / high LSAT (170+)
Both? Apply if you want to (especially with waivers) and if it doesn't work out apply early next cycle and enjoy the fruits of your labor. No harm in giving it a shot. In the meantime, work and save up money. Not that difficult of a decision, IMHO.

Edit: but it is very late in the cycle to be applying. I'd be surprised if you got in with money. If you want more money/scholly offers, I think waiting would help you there.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Re: Should I Apply Now, or Wait Until Later this Year?

Post by BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:38 pm

If you want to apply, go for it. You have nothing to lose. Well, maybe some $ and time. I would opt to just wait it out and apply early next cycle. I'd be willing to bet your admission chances and scholly totals would increase if you waited. HTH.

Bjorn

New

Re: Should I Apply Now and Later, or Simply Wait Until Later?

Post by Bjorn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm

To both of you: yes, I'm definitely going to apply later. If I applied now, it would not be to matriculate this Fall. My conundrum is, would it help me later to apply now, and possibly get acceptances/$? Without ever intending to matriculate. Or would it hurt me later on, since my application would be rushed, etc., and they would see that I had applied before and been rejected possibly, etc.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Bjorn wrote:To both of you: yes, I'm definitely going to apply later. If I applied now, it would not be to matriculate this Fall. My conundrum is, would it help me later to apply now, and possibly get acceptances/$? Without ever intending to matriculate. Or would it hurt me later on, since my application would be rushed, etc., and they would see that I had applied before and been rejected possibly, etc.
If you're not going to matriculate next fall then I don't see any advantages applying this late in the cycle. I'm a 0L and this is coming out my ass so wait until more knowledgeable people can chime in. Good luck and congrats on the high LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Waste of time and money to apply now. Both yours and the adcoms.

Wait until fall, get a solid application together, profit $$. They will still want you then.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:40 pm

BTW Op I felt similarly when I took my LSAT back in October 2011. I simply replied to each of the e-mails and politely stated I was honored for the offer and would they be able to extend it to admissions cycle the following year. You can still keep those fee waivers!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”