SCHOLARSHIP NEGOTIATION Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
buckeye21

New

SCHOLARSHIP NEGOTIATION

Post by buckeye21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi! I just have a quick question. I got full ride scholarships to a few schools but not my top choice. I a couple weeks ago I wrote my top choice a lengthy email asking them to increase my scholarship. They emailed me back saying that they would increase it but by only half of what I requested. This week I went and visited the school and I still REALLY want to go there but I cannot afford it unless they were to increase my scholarship more. My question is should I sent them another email asking for more money? Would they even give me more? Or should I just go to my second choice school? Thank you so much for your input

magp90

Bronze

Re: SCHOLARSHIP NEGOTIATION

Post by magp90 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm

buckeye21 wrote:Hi! I just have a quick question. I got full ride scholarships to a few schools but not my top choice. I a couple weeks ago I wrote my top choice a lengthy email asking them to increase my scholarship. They emailed me back saying that they would increase it but by only half of what I requested. This week I went and visited the school and I still REALLY want to go there but I cannot afford it unless they were to increase my scholarship more. My question is should I sent them another email asking for more money? Would they even give me more? Or should I just go to my second choice school? Thank you so much for your input
It depends on how your second choice stacks up with your first choice, but all I can say for certain is that it never hurts to ask. There's a polite way to do it, and you won't be penalized for making the inquiry.

Aside from that, it's time to develop a game-plan for how you're going to react if they don't honor your request.

buckeye21

New

Post by buckeye21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:25 pm

magp90 wrote: It depends on how your second choice stacks up with your first choice, but all I can say for certain is that it never hurts to ask. There's a polite way to do it, and you won't be penalized for making the inquiry.

Aside from that, it's time to develop a game-plan for how you're going to react if they don't honor your request.

My second choice school actually ranks significantly higher than my first choice school (atleast 15 spots higher). My second choice also gave me a full tuition scholarship which I will keep as long as I stay in good academic standing. So I think I can make a fairly good argument. I am just concerned about coming off as ungrateful since they already increased my scholarship offer. Do you have any advice regarding how I should go about wording my request? Should I mention the rankings of each school in the email?

rshw89

New

Post by rshw89 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:36 pm

buckeye21 wrote:
magp90 wrote: It depends on how your second choice stacks up with your first choice, but all I can say for certain is that it never hurts to ask. There's a polite way to do it, and you won't be penalized for making the inquiry.

My second choice school actually ranks significantly higher than my first choice school (atleast 15 spots higher). My second choice also gave me a full tuition scholarship which I will keep as long as I stay in good academic standing. So I think I can make a fairly good argument. I am just concerned about coming off as ungrateful since they already increased my scholarship offer. Do you have any advice regarding how I should go about wording my request? Should I mention the rankings of each school in the email?
What are you actually risking by asking for more money a second time? You said the school is a non-starter for you if you don't get more money, so it seems that your only option is to ask again.

Bjorn

New

Post by Bjorn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Two scenarios:

1. You don't ask, and you can't go to that school.

2. You do ask, and they either say yes, or they say no.

I can assure you that they won't become irritated with the request and then spitefully take away the amount they've already offered you...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:55 pm

buckeye21 wrote:

What is it about the first school that you're so attracted to?

buckeye21

New

Post by buckeye21 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:14 am

magp90 wrote:
buckeye21 wrote:

My second choice school actually ranks significantly higher than my first choice school (at least 15 spots higher). My second choice also gave me a full tuition scholarship which I will keep as long as I stay in good academic standing. So I think I can make a fairly good argument. I am just concerned about coming off as ungrateful since they already increased my scholarship offer. Do you have any advice regarding how I should go about wording my request? Should I mention the rankings of each school in the email?
What is it about the first school that you're so attracted to?
It is the only tier one school in the city I want to live in. The location is very important to me.

grace123

New

Post by grace123 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:37 pm

You should absolutely ask again for more money. You should also be asking every school you got into for more money to leverage higher offers against each other. There is pretty much no harm in doing this, as the school is not going to rescind its offer to you if you play hardball with them. Also note that as time goes on and people withdraw their offers, they will have more money to distribute. Just because they say they're out of money now doesn't mean they won't have more money a month from now. Good luck, and don't feel bad about being annoying to the deans, this is the only time you're going to have negotiating power. They will raise fees on you all three years without caring about your input, so you should take advantage of your situation while you can.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Definitely ask again. You can also tell them they are your first choice and tell them why. I would just be straight up with them and say, hey school x gave me a full tuition but i would really prefer to go here, the only thing holding me back from committing is the cost, I am really hopeful to attend {your university]

not those words, but you get the picture. They may think your numbers are too good for their school so they dont know that increasing your scholarship will get you to come.

Also, are both your numbers above their medians?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckeye21

New

Post by buckeye21 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Definitely ask again. You can also tell them they are your first choice and tell them why. I would just be straight up with them and say, hey school x gave me a full tuition but i would really prefer to go here, the only thing holding me back from committing is the cost, I am really hopeful to attend {your university]

not those words, but you get the picture. They may think your numbers are too good for their school so they dont know that increasing your scholarship will get you to come.

Also, are both your numbers above their medians?
Yes. Thankfully. Both my numbers are above there 75% marks.

buckeye21

New

Post by buckeye21 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:02 pm

grace123 wrote:You should absolutely ask again for more money. You should also be asking every school you got into for more money to leverage higher offers against each other. There is pretty much no harm in doing this, as the school is not going to rescind its offer to you if you play hardball with them. Also note that as time goes on and people withdraw their offers, they will have more money to distribute. Just because they say they're out of money now doesn't mean they won't have more money a month from now. Good luck, and don't feel bad about being annoying to the deans, this is the only time you're going to have negotiating power. They will raise fees on you all three years without caring about your input, so you should take advantage of your situation while you can.
Thank you. That makes me feel a bit better. They have been very helpful and nice so far and I do not want them to think I am unappreciative.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”