Applications - rank my scenarios Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wohast

New

Applications - rank my scenarios

Post by Wohast » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:49 pm

MA URM splitter. low gpa/high lsat.

1. First take in June, achieve my desired score, submit apps as early as possible (sept 1 etc)

2. Decide not fully prepared for June, study more, first take in Oct, achieve desired score, submit apps as soon as Oct scores come in (Nov).
3. First take in June, do not achieve desired score, retake in Oct, submit apps as soon as Oct scores come in (Nov).
4. First take in June, do not achieve desired score, submit apps as early as possible still (sept 1), retake in Oct, and inform them of new Oct scores in Nov.

Obv #1 is ideal.
Not sure where 2-4 rank though.
Hold out and take/submit later for chance at one high score.
Take early/submit early with chance for one low/one high score.

As for 3,4...if I take in June, and need to retake in Oct...do I submit apps early still with the low score? or just hold out until November?
how big of a diff for Sept submit -> Nov submit, for a URM splitter.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Re: Applications - rank my scenarios

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 am

1. Prepare like hell and take in June -> Get desired score, to the extent that you are confident you've maximized. Submit to your whole range of choices.
2. Failing that, take your somewhat decent score (because, after all, you did study your ass off) and apply to a few of your top choice safeties that you think you have a good shot at. Save the reaches to apply fresh when you get a higher score and actually have a shot.
3. Prepare like hell again, go over everything you've gotten wrong on practice tests, don't take until you can get 100% on LG (this is a good rule of thumb for the first take, anyways), and submit to the higher end of your range and update your safeties. If you already have admits, take your new score and negotiate more $$$.

I think the above is sound advice even you get a lousy score (just lower your range and apply within what is realistic, and then retake).

I think getting your apps in early is somewhat overrated; it will help you get money at the places you'll get into, but I don't think it will make any difference at your super reaches. I hoped to whittle my way into reaches by applying way early and highlighting softs; for the most part my app simply didn't get reviewed until much later anyway, all the while I sat and watched people that applied later and with higher numbers get admitted.

Alternatively you could just submit to your range and update in Nov. You run the slight risk of getting an early ding, although I don't think really anyone admits before Dec. unless ED.

Good luck!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:44 am

Do you actually have an LSAT or is this all hypothetical?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 pm

1 and 4. They'll know that you signed up to retake and will hold your app. You can also contact them if you wish.

That said, just so you know, I conventional wisdom is that the URM boost for normal splitters is weaker than reverse splitters.

Wohast

New

Post by Wohast » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:38 am

thanks a bunch for the great advice, hopefully all goes well in june...if not, atleast itll give me some experience taking the real thing, and with the additional months to study, i can go in for october and murder it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 am

don' t take it in June (too soon). Study from here on, and especially summer, and own on OCT.

then, celebrate that 170+, my amigo

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Do you actually have an LSAT or is this all hypothetical?
hypothetical

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm

#3.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”