Am I screwed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amuseboosh

New

Am I screwed?

Post by amuseboosh » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 am

I get the consensus here is that taking community college classes doesn't really matter but my situation is a bit different and I could use some advice. I initially started at a community college and then transferred to a big state school, then I got majorly depressed/had some personal issues/failed out. I then returned to my old community college which offers bachelors programs and graduated from there. I was able to medically withdraw my failed classes from the state school and ended up with an lsdas gpa of 3.51. I took the LSAT in December, scored a 173, applied really late in the cycle to most of the t14 and some safety schools and haven't heard back from anyone yet. Will the fact that I failed out from my state school and graduated from a community college hurt me from getting into the t14, as much I think it will? My school is so unknown it wasn't even listed on lsac when I registered. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by amuseboosh on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: Am I screwed?

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 am

No, you're going to be fine. Applying late hurt you far more (still not that much) than graduating from a shitty school and having a semester if withdrawals. I know because I had a semester of withdrawals, took a large chunk of my classes from a CC, and everything is going fine for me.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:13 am

Did you include an addendum saying you withdrew for medical reasons?

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 am

amuseboosh wrote:I get the consensus here is that taking community college classes doesn't really matter but my situation is a bit different and I could use some advice. I initially started at a community college and then transferred to a big state school, then I got majorly depressed/had some personal issues/failed out. I then returned to my old community college which offers bachelors programs and graduated from there. I was able to medically withdraw my failed classes from the state school and ended up with an lsdas gpa of 3.51. I took the LSAT in December, scored a 173, applied really late in the cycle to most of the t14 and some safety schools and haven't heard back from anyone yet. Will the fact that I failed out from my state school and graduated from a community college hurt me from getting into the t14, as much I think it will? My school is so unknown it wasn't even listed on lsac when I registered. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Your stats are good. Reapply next cycle. Seriously.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 am

I think the only schools that would really care about what school you went to are schools that wouldn't accept someone with a 3.5 anyway (basically, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford). Most anywhere else would love to accept a 173/3.5.

Definitely apply early next cycle if you don't like your results this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Numbers twin! Yeah definitely include that addendum (or as elterrible would say "dat addendum") and you should be fine.
If you don't get what you are looking for sit-out and apply ASAP next cycle.

amuseboosh

New

Post by amuseboosh » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 am

Thank you guys for the kind words and encouragement, I'm more optimistic now. It's just my undergrad is literally such a joke that it makes me worry. I consistently get the highest test grades in my classes and the tests are incredibly easy, they require little to no effort so I hope law schools really won't care.
bp shinners wrote:Did you include an addendum saying you withdrew for medical reasons?
I did include an addendum but what are your thoughts about addendums for psychological medical conditions such as depression? I heard from a bunch of people that they can actually do more harm than good as law schools don't want to accept someone who's going to get overwhelmed their first year, get depressed and fail out.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm

I didn't even realize there were community colleges that offered bachelors. I wish I would have done that instead of transferring

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”