Post removed... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

Gold

Post removed...

Post by appind » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 pm

Post removed...
Last edited by appind on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eyfl

Bronze

Re: foreign gpa above-average issue

Post by eyfl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 pm

appind wrote:My CAS evaluation shows above-average. My GPA was in the upper twenty-five percent of the class. It looks like CAS simply did a linear conversion to the american GPA system without taking into account the difficult grading curve of the college.

Is there something that can be done? This eval seems to kill any pipe dreams for going to HYS.
This is what they seem to do. For example I read a lot of complaints from french students as they have some weird grading when you can be on top of your class and still not get best possible GPA - they are also evaluated as Above Average. I don't think there's anything you can do (as it's not LSAC who actually does the evaluation). But it's always worth a try ('no' is the answer you have, 'yes' is the answer you can get :wink: )

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 pm

What is your degree class and where did you receive your degree? They usually do a simple conversion that way, but in rare circumstances they will take rigor of your program into account. I doubt there is anything you can do to appeal your classification - top 25% doesn't sound good enough for a Superior, to me. The people I know with Superior had First class degrees.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Unfortunately, LSAC doesn't consider the difficulty of your undergrad school when calculating GPA--This can hurt American students as well, so you're in good company. LSAC does send a chart of average LSAT scores for people from your school, which may not help if very few people from your school take the LSAT.

I'd recommend attaching an addendum to your application explaining the curve or that you were in the top 25% off your class.

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Somehow I do believe prestigious matters, at least for students from China. Chinese universities are nortoriously stingy when giving grade. It's likely if your average score is 90ish, you could be ranked number 1 in your class. But if you convert that score into GPA, it will be B+ or so.

So if you come from top universities in your nation, if you can have your institution consulor writing a letter about class rank, you probably can be evaluated better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”