HYS applications for next cycle Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bplanc12

New

HYS applications for next cycle

Post by bplanc12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 am

Longtime lurker one of my first times posting. So here's the deal: I was triple waitlisted at HYS last year as a K-JD with decent UG softs but nothing special in terms of a resume. After a lot of consideration I decided not to go to school right from undergrad and to take time working to see if law school was the right move etc. I was lucky enough to find a great job in an area I love, with a lot of room for growth and responsibility. After a lot of thought this year I've decided to apply for next cycle at the very beginning, but only to HYS. I know some other T-14 schools are arguably worthwhile even ITE (although I think the changes we are seeing a more long term and structural). But, for my particular situation with my particular goals, only HYS make sense. As a triple waitlist last time around with a GPA slightly above/just at the H+Y median and an LSAT score right at median, I think I have a decent chance. I will be applying with two years of very solid and interesting WE I can speak about passionately. My questions for you, TLS, are:

1). I haven't been on the forums in a while. How has the historic drop in applicants affected HYS this cycle? Is there any chance of H dropping to a 172 median? I'm not sure.

2). Should I get two new recommendations for next year? I plan on writing a whole new PS and also 250 for Yale but wasn't sure about recs.

3). Will the fact I am a reapplicant have any effect?

4). Should I address why the fact I am a reapplicant in my PS or an addendum or is it not worth it?

5). I know it's hard to predict and I love LSN but I still have to ask the question: what are my chances of getting one of these three this time?

I don't mean to come across as a jerk or to be saying HYS are the only schools worth attending; just in my situation they are the only ones that make sense. Thanks!

Gold

Re: HYS applications for next cycle

Post by 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:28 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

That's a good point. It's actually probably unhelpful to anyone reading this to be vague about numbers so I am a 3.9/173. So I'm fairly certain my numbers are not why I did not get in. I know Y+S are crapshoots so it's hard to speculate there. In terms of Harvard, though I am pretty sure it was about lack of WE and just looking like a kid straight out of undergrad who didn't know exactly what he wanted to do (probably a valid assessment at the time). Plus I know Harvard has been putting much more emphasis on WE. Anyways I don't want to turn this into a what are my chance post since there is a forum for that. First time around I knew my chances were a coin flip and this time I think they are maybe slightly better. I guess what I am more wondering is about what effect the crazy drop in applicants had had at the top 3 law schools. Also, whether anyone has any experience as a reapplicant and what they have found to be helpful if successful. Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 am

Regulus wrote: It is awesome that you have gotten some work experience and are rewriting all of your applications. However, I am not sure how schools will look upon you applying with the same exact GPA / LSAT (the only real things that matter) that were previously rejected... if we were talking about Northwestern where work experience is a much bigger factor things might be different, but I am not sure if just a couple of years of WE will make up for an otherwise unchanged application. I am not an adcomm so this holds absolutely no weight, but if I were looking over your file I would probably give you the same decision as last time because you haven't put in the effort to raise your LSAT.
OP got waitlisted at all of HYS, so it's not like they felt he had no chance. My guess is he'll probably get Harvard this time around if he was got waitlisted two years ago and has a 3.9/173. I'd recommend sending in an employer LOR to mix things up a little.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks for the advice and I do think an employer LOR could be a nice addition. I've read that if your LORs from professors would not have anything new to add this time (and they would not; I'd actually ask the same professors) then it's best not to change them. I will try to update my file with the employer LOR, new personal statement, and updated resume. I think most of the problem with my application last time was that it did not answer the question of "why law" even tho my scores and recommendations were good. I think that's why I ended up KB1--Waitlist last time. I knew I was close last time, but this time I feel I honestly know why law school is right and I'll be able to portray that better in my app. I'm hoping that the WE combined with probably a slightly more favorable cycle and getting my app in first thing in September, will put me over the edge and to get in.

abcde12345

Bronze

Post by abcde12345 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 pm

I know it's anecdotal, but maybe this helps: I know someone who goes to YLS. He wanted to apply after UG but thought it would be a better idea to retake + get a job. He retook a 171 and got a 176, and worked for 2 years at a firm. He got into S + H and Y off the WL. So although he never applied a first time, and although his LSAT was significantly better, he really thought those 2 years helped him, because they gave his app direction and legitimacy (he knew what law was like, etc.). So I would assume that, even if you didn't retake, you would have a better shot. But if HYS is so important to you, I really think you should have retook during your 2 years of work. I would try June if I were you.

If you don't mind, could I pm you a related question?

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 pm

abcde12345 wrote:I know it's anecdotal, but maybe this helps: I know someone who goes to YLS. He wanted to apply after UG but thought it would be a better idea to retake + get a job. He retook a 171 and got a 176, and worked for 2 years at a firm. He got into S + H and Y off the WL. So although he never applied a first time, and although his LSAT was significantly better, he really thought those 2 years helped him, because they gave his app direction and legitimacy (he knew what law was like, etc.). So I would assume that, even if you didn't retake, you would have a better shot. But if HYS is so important to you, I really think you should have retook during your 2 years of work. I would try June if I were you.

If you don't mind, could I pm you a related question?
Good advice and that makes a lot of sense! I did briefly consider a retake but I went all out for the 173. 7 months of all out studying, used almost every practice test etc so I feel like I honestly have very little room to go up and if anything would probably get lower this time around, especially considering the 173 slightly overperfomed my PT avg. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed I guess haha.

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 pm

And feel free to PM me--I'll send you one now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

futureesqperhaps

New

Post by futureesqperhaps » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 pm

:oops: :cry:
Last edited by futureesqperhaps on Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

futureesqperhaps

New

Post by futureesqperhaps » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Oh and to answer your questions...

1). I haven't been on the forums in a while. How has the historic drop in applicants affected HYS this cycle? Is there any chance of H dropping to a 172 median? I'm not sure.

We'll have to wait and see. Yes, it is possible.

2). Should I get two new recommendations for next year? I plan on writing a whole new PS and also 250 for Yale but wasn't sure about recs.

I don't think new recommendations are necessary, but an update or two might be worthwhile.

3). Will the fact I am a reapplicant have any effect?

Not enough to warrant a rejection/waitlist.

4). Should I address why the fact I am a reapplicant in my PS or an addendum or is it not worth it?

I think they'll be able to figure it out.

5). I know it's hard to predict and I love LSN but I still have to ask the question: what are my chances of getting one of these three this time?

Great. I'd say in at H and good chances at Y and S.

futureesqperhaps

New

Post by futureesqperhaps » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 am

And we don't know if H prefers an older crowd. A 1/4 of the class is K-JD and another 20 percent has only been out of college for a year. I'm willing to bet that a large fraction of the 20 percent used that year to prepare applications and take the LSAT rather than actually accumulate valuable work experience. I will say, however, that it seems as though K-JDs need to compensate their lack of "experience" with a LSAT/GPA slightly higher than median. OP, yours was really borderline, so it might have just been that you were unlucky.

jrsbaseball5

Bronze

Post by jrsbaseball5 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:21 am

Hey OP not a lot of advice I can offer to you because I'm going through the process, just wanted to wish you luck. I will be going through the same thing next cycle so here's to wishing for the best!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Teflon_Don

Bronze

Post by Teflon_Don » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:23 am

Dude, retake.

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 am

jrsbaseball5 wrote:Hey OP not a lot of advice I can offer to you because I'm going through the process, just wanted to wish you luck. I will be going through the same thing next cycle so here's to wishing for the best!
Thanks! Best of luck to you as well!

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Might I ask why you believe that, to you, those three schools are the only options "that make sense?"

I wonder why the option to attend Columbia with a Hamilton scholarship, for example, wouldn't make sense.

Feel free to PM me if the reasons aren't post material.

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 pm

I'd apply around even if you don't intend to go anywhere but HYS--getting full-ride type offers at other places might make you think about it. You'll probably get a bunch of waivers. 173/3.9 are your numbers? Look carefully at your PS. I feel like 173/3.9 are strong numbers for H for last cycle, so perhaps something else in the app wasn't as strong.

Edited: see you've been working for 2 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am

bowser wrote:I'd apply around even if you don't intend to go anywhere but HYS--getting full-ride type offers at other places might make you think about it. You'll probably get a bunch of waivers. 173/3.9 are your numbers? Look carefully at your PS. I feel like 173/3.9 are strong numbers for H for last cycle, so perhaps something else in the app wasn't as strong.

Edited: see you've been working for 2 years.
Yeah they were solid numbers and for a K-JD my softs were decent but honestly I just didn't have a lot of direction and I think it showed in my KB1, which I didn't say anything bad in but just wasn't my best interview. I think that contributed too. All things considered, it was actually a good thing that I got WLed last time: the past few years have helped me gain a better perspective on myself and what I really want to do.

bplanc12

New

Post by bplanc12 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 am

Plus applying a tad bit earlier can't hurt either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”