FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FIULaw_Admissions

New

FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here!

Post by FIULaw_Admissions » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Hello prospective and accepted Florida International Law students. We have created this forum for anyone who is interested in asking questions regarding FIU law, its curriculum, faculty and lifestyle. We have student ambassadors standing by waiting to answer your questions. So feel free to ask away!
Last edited by FIULaw_Admissions on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Re: FIU Law Prospective Students- ask your questions here!

Post by soj » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

In a private message, the thread creator told me they are current FIU students, not an admissions officer. Please keep that in mind when you ask questions and read answers.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:04 pm

what're the job prospects like coming out of FIU?

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

mephistopheles wrote:what're the job prospects like coming out of FIU?
Don't be a douche. If you are genuinely curious then click here.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:11 pm

howlery wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:what're the job prospects like coming out of FIU?
Don't be a douche. If you are genuinely curious then click here.

to FIU: care to comment?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FIULaw_Admissions

New

Post by FIULaw_Admissions » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:16 pm

95% of graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation. Also, the career center at FIU is very helpful with finding jobs for current law students and graduates.

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

tagging this thread cause it's going to be fucking wild

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 pm

FIULaw_Admissions wrote:95% of graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation. Also, the career center at FIU is very helpful with finding jobs for current law students and graduates.
what sort of jobs do these 95% get? whats your biglaw percentage?

futureesqperhaps

New

Post by futureesqperhaps » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:34 pm

What's the social atmosphere like at FIU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Not exactly sure what the point of grilling and berating students is. Other than being mean-spirited to students trying to be helpful to potential applicants. Maybe shoot an email to an FIU adcomm or dean if you feel like being an ass to a random person.

My two cents.

futureesqperhaps

New

Post by futureesqperhaps » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:41 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Not exactly sure what the point of grilling and berating students is. Other than being mean-spirited to students trying to be helpful to potential applicants. Maybe shoot an email to an FIU adcomm or dean if you feel like being an ass to a random person.

My two cents.
What makes you say that? They look like valid questions to me...

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:43 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Not exactly sure what the point of grilling and berating students is. Other than being mean-spirited to students trying to be helpful to potential applicants. Maybe shoot an email to an FIU adcomm or dean if you feel like being an ass to a random person.

My two cents.
Agreed. If the OP was an admissions officer trying to sell the school perhaps the vitriol would be more understandable. These are students.

Though I will say that the ~95% employment figure cited above is factually incorrect.
Last edited by howlery on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potterpirate04

Bronze

Post by potterpirate04 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:58 pm

howlery wrote:

My two cents.
Agreed. If the OP was an admissions officer trying to sell the school perhaps the vitriol would be more understandable. These are students.
This. All of this, but especially the bolded.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:28 am

this is going to end well.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 am

While I don't condone the unjustified bashing of others who are offering help, I am at the same time amazed how many lower-ranked schools post things on a website called "Top-Law-Schools.com" and expect a positive response.

Having said that, I do have an honest question for these current students:
Throughout this cycle, both myself and others on this website have received phone calls from students at law schools like Michigan State University (just to name one of the many institutions that have started doing this). Is your all's thread on this website a benevolent act of service, or have you been asked to do this by your law school? If the latter is the case, would you please describe how your school approached you about doing this?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 am

Even if it's done with the best of intentions, trying to lure people into making the biggest mistake of their lives is a moral failing.

FIULaw_Admissions

New

Post by FIULaw_Admissions » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:11 am

stillwater wrote:
FIULaw_Admissions wrote:95% of graduates are employed within 9 months of graduation. Also, the career center at FIU is very helpful with finding jobs for current law students and graduates.
what sort of jobs do these 95% get? whats your biglaw percentage?
The 95% figure includes all kinds of jobs but are not necessarily law related. I will ask the career services department for the exact law related job percentage and post it on here once I have the information.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FIULaw_Admissions

New

Post by FIULaw_Admissions » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:15 am

Regulus wrote:While I don't condone the unjustified bashing of others who are offering help, I am at the same time amazed how many lower-ranked schools post things on a website called "Top-Law-Schools.com" and expect a positive response.

Having said that, I do have an honest question for these current students:
Throughout this cycle, both myself and others on this website have received phone calls from students at law schools like Michigan State University (just to name one of the many institutions that have started doing this). Is your all's thread on this website a benevolent act of service, or have you been asked to do this by your law school? If the latter is the case, would you please describe how your school approached you about doing this?
We have a program at FIU where the admissions office selects current law students to be student ambassadors. Our duties entail updating FIU's twitter account, posting on law school blogs, and contacting accepted students. We do this to promote FIU Law and encourage prospective applicants to learn more about us.

FIULaw_Admissions

New

Post by FIULaw_Admissions » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 am

futureesqperhaps wrote:What's the social atmosphere like at FIU?
The social atmosphere at FIU Law is great! Everyone is very friendly and always willing to help. Each 1L section generally has 60 students so it is very easy to get to know each other. The Student Bar Association hosts events throughout the semester where students can hang out and get to know each other better.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 am

lol

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am

FIULaw_Admissions wrote:We have a program at FIU where the admissions office selects current law students to be student ambassadors. Our duties entail updating FIU's twitter account, posting on law school blogs, and contacting accepted students. We do this to promote FIU Law and encourage prospective applicants to learn more about us.
Thank you for responding so quickly. Are you all selected at random or do you volunteer, and do you get something in return for your services?
So, based on FIU's response, we can act as though we are dealing with an adcomm here because, like with Michigan State University, the adcomms at these schools work vicariously through their students. (The OP is not a group of students who randomly decided to be nice and start answering questions on this forum; they are here for one thing: to represent their institution, and to bring benefit to that institution.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 am

Regulus wrote:
FIULaw_Admissions wrote:We have a program at FIU where the admissions office selects current law students to be student ambassadors. Our duties entail updating FIU's twitter account, posting on law school blogs, and contacting accepted students. We do this to promote FIU Law and encourage prospective applicants to learn more about us.
Thank you for responding so quickly. Are you all selected at random or do you volunteer, and do you get something in return for your services?
So, based on FIU's response, we can act as though we are dealing with an adcomm here because, like with Michigan State University, the adcomms at these schools work vicariously through their students. (The OP is not a group of students who randomly decided to be nice and start answering questions on this forum; they are here for one thing: to represent their institution, and to bring benefit to that institution.)
Sounds like Regulus is getting ready to start dropping bombs

FIULaw_Admissions

New

Post by FIULaw_Admissions » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 am

Regulus wrote:
The admissions office sends an application to students who have performed well during their first semester of law school and then selects a certain number of those applicants to be student ambassadors. We are compensated for our services. It's kinda like a work study job.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 am

WhiteyCakes wrote: Sounds like Regulus is getting ready to start dropping bombs
lol nah with the exception of the accommodation kid, I generally try to stay out of battle. What I did do, however, was remove the no-fly zone stipulation from this thread. :wink:

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Regulus wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote: Sounds like Regulus is getting ready to start dropping bombs
lol nah with the exception of the accommodation kid, I generally try to stay out of battle. What I did do, however, was remove the no-fly zone stipulation from this thread. :wink:
Context helps a lot, thanks Regulus. These kids applied for and are subsequently being paid to promote FIU.

Have at it folks, no more white knighting from me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”