question regarding excessive W grades on transcript Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
barberiolisa

New

question regarding excessive W grades on transcript

Post by barberiolisa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Suppose you have an ok gpa....3.05 and a decent LSAT score, but your gpa is what is, because your undergrad experience was compromised by having health problems which resulted in excessive non-punitive W grades as well?

Is there anyone out there that has been in the same boat, where you have excessive W grades (more than 20) due to health concerns. If you address them in an addendum (and have a good reason) how bad will that look to admissions committees?

stillwater

Gold

Re: question regarding excessive W grades on transcript

Post by stillwater » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:39 pm

barberiolisa wrote:Suppose you have an ok gpa....3.05 and a decent LSAT score, but your gpa is what is, because your undergrad experience was compromised by having health problems which resulted in excessive non-punitive W grades as well?

Is there anyone out there that has been in the same boat, where you have excessive W grades (more than 20) due to health concerns. If you address them in an addendum (and have a good reason) how bad will that look to admissions committees?
20 is excessive. You should probably write an addendum.

barberiolisa

New

Post by barberiolisa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:40 pm

I will write an addendum to address them, but if you have a good reason because of health concerns, does that still look awful to admissions committees?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

barberiolisa wrote:I will write an addendum to address them, but if you have a good reason because of health concerns, does that still look awful to admissions committees?
depends what the health concerns are. if the health concerns are past you and/or aren't "bad" in terms of C&F reasons, then I doubt it'll affect you.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

barberiolisa wrote:I will write an addendum to address them, but if you have a good reason because of health concerns, does that still look awful to admissions committees?
My educated guess is that if it's a good reason, health reasons and whatnot, you'll be fine so long as you aren't currently fighting cancer or something serious. Are you all better now?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:18 am

BerkeleyBear wrote:
My educated guess is that if it's a good reason, health reasons and whatnot, you'll be fine so long as you aren't currently fighting cancer or something serious. Are you all better now?
Yeah, the big question is whether this will affect you going forward. If the law school can expect you to have to continually take a leave of absence for medical issues, that will concern them.

Dr. Gaius Baltar

New

Post by Dr. Gaius Baltar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Definitely address it.
Last edited by Dr. Gaius Baltar on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

I wrote an addendum and I had 7.

barberiolisa

New

Post by barberiolisa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Absolutely, I am going to address it. And they were due to medical reasons that not longer are in existence. But I guess my inquiry was, if you meet the gpa and LSAT that a particular school normally admits, Could they reject you just on having a great deal of non-punitive withdrawals (which in my case are from health problems). I wouldnt think that the withdrawals alone, could be the make or break between acceptance and denial. Or could they?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”