Asked or advised or permitted to withdraw (C&F) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
asadad11

New

Asked or advised or permitted to withdraw (C&F)

Post by asadad11 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:18 pm

I have never been placed on academic probation or warned that I would be placed on academic probation; nor have I ever been subject to dismissal, suspension or expulsion during my undergraduate. I have in no time fallen below a 2.0 GPA (save one “term” GPA; though not grounds for probation at my UG). Moreover, I have never been the subject of either a conduct infraction or formal academic sanction resulting from poor conduct or academic dishonesty whatsoever.

In completing the character and fitness portion of my applications, I reflexively responded no on each question regarding academic record. Upon further review of at least two of my apps, even though all of the above is absolutely true, an answer of “no” in this section is clearly FLASE. During my UG, I was admitted to a special program which allowed me to take graduate courses. Finding the work too challenging for me at the time, I requested to be dropped. After a petition to the school, I was granted the drop and treated like a normal UG. I was never placed on any formal probation. I have since been admitted to a law school which did not ask about any “requested drops” or the like. I do not wish to attend any of the schools with the incorrect apps. Should I submit an addendum to these schools anyway? Will it affect my current status as an admitted student? What about the bar association?

Thanks in advance.

Below are the two questions:

“1. Have you ever been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on academic or disciplinary probation, disciplined, expelled, or requested or advised to resign from any post-secondary school, college, university, professional school, or law school?”

and

“Have you ever been the subject of disciplinary proceedings or been warned; placed on probation; dropped; expelled; or been asked or advised or permitted to withdraw; or been suspended for academic, nonacademic, or any other reasons by any of the colleges, universities, graduate schools, or professional schools you have attended, or are any such proceedings pending”

fatduck

Gold

Re: Asked or advised or permitted to withdraw (C&F)

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:21 pm

i actually don't think you're wrong. you dropped courses, but i don't think you technically dropped out of a graduate program.

but i guess it wouldn't hurt to write the schools a letter.

asadad11

New

Post by asadad11 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:38 pm

fatduck wrote:i actually don't think you're wrong. you dropped courses, but i don't think you technically dropped out of a graduate program.

but i guess it wouldn't hurt to write the schools a letter.
Thank you for your input.

If anyone else has further input, it would be greatly appreciated.

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:54 pm

i wouldn't bother

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Are you planning on using acceptances/scholarships from these schools for scholarship negotiations at other schools? If not, you should just withdraw your apps, since you said you have no interest in attending these schools. If so, then it wouldn't hurt to send a short amendment by email. I don't think you really need to, though, since you were never actually a graduate student. But if it would allay your concerns, the schools won't hold a brief (and mildly apologetic) amendment email against you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Good Marshall

New

Post by Good Marshall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:36 pm

You should contact your UG and get clarification. I would not act until I spoke with them first. It doesn't sound like a big deal though. Academic dishonesty or the like is a bigger deal.

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:39 pm

asadad11 wrote:
Below are the two questions:

“1. Have you ever been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on academic or disciplinary probation, disciplined, expelled, or requested or advised to resign from any post-secondary school, college, university, professional school, or law school?”

and

“Have you ever been the subject of disciplinary proceedings or been warned; placed on probation; dropped; expelled; or been asked or advised or permitted to withdraw; or been suspended for academic, nonacademic, or any other reasons by any of the colleges, universities, graduate schools, or professional schools you have attended, or are any such proceedings pending”
I don't think the first question is relevant. I read that as "have you ever been requested to resign?" As in, the school asked you to. The second question would be an issue though. (If that eases your mind even a little bit!)

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

With regard to the first question, I agree you have not "been ... requested" to withdraw.

With regard to the second, this is poorly worded, as you were technically permitted to withdraw; however, presumably they were thinking of a situation where a school permits you to withdraw in lieu of disciplinary proceedings. I might say yes and add an addendum explaining that you withdrew of your own volition.

Some other opinions:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=191694

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”