Accidentally submitted wrong PS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lagunitan

New

Accidentally submitted wrong PS

Post by Lagunitan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Last edited by Lagunitan on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbsg

Bronze

Re: Accidentally submitted wrong PS

Post by bbsg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm

I'm of no help but I am interested in the outcome -- do come back and update! I'd probably call them first thing Monday, for what it's worth.

Lagunitan

New

Post by Lagunitan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Last edited by Lagunitan on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

b123

Bronze

Post by b123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Call Monday. You have nothing to lose unless they're really into stream of consciousness, in which case your original submission should work well.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:49 am

Lagunitan wrote:This is for one of HYS. Assume I otherwise have numbers/softs that would make me competitive (but not an auto-admit) for this school. I had two files with different extensions but the same name on my computer, and accidentally uploaded the wrong file. It's an earlier draft of the PS, but isn't even a coherent document - it was never close to final form for an application. I have the correct original PS, which the time stamp shows was not edited after the deadline for the school I applied to.

Is it worth calling first thing Monday morning to ask if I can resubmit the essay? The alternative is just withdrawing the application - as is, the incorrect essay would almost surely get me auto-dinged. If I withdraw, I'll probably be looking to reapply next year - not sure whether it's better to reapply having withdrawn before going under review or to reapply after alerting admissions that I made a careless mistake on my application.

Anyone have experience with trying to send in a corrected PS after the deadline?
Soooo... when you clicked "Preview Application," you did not infact, preview the application? Totally honest, if I were adcom at HYS the simple act of doing this would DQ you forever and always. Your only real hope is withdrawing the application and hoping that no one ever looks at it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:31 am

Call and ask. I know someone who got into HLS after initially forgetting to include her résumé. Some adcomms will be chill enough to let you make the amendment. And it's worth pointing out the date stamp so it doesn't look like you benefited from extra time. If they don't let you amend (and very tactfully refuse to take a no from a receptionist, by the way), then withdraw.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:13 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Lagunitan wrote:This is for one of HYS. Assume I otherwise have numbers/softs that would make me competitive (but not an auto-admit) for this school. I had two files with different extensions but the same name on my computer, and accidentally uploaded the wrong file. It's an earlier draft of the PS, but isn't even a coherent document - it was never close to final form for an application. I have the correct original PS, which the time stamp shows was not edited after the deadline for the school I applied to.

Is it worth calling first thing Monday morning to ask if I can resubmit the essay? The alternative is just withdrawing the application - as is, the incorrect essay would almost surely get me auto-dinged. If I withdraw, I'll probably be looking to reapply next year - not sure whether it's better to reapply having withdrawn before going under review or to reapply after alerting admissions that I made a careless mistake on my application.

Anyone have experience with trying to send in a corrected PS after the deadline?
Soooo... when you clicked "Preview Application," you did not infact, preview the application? Totally honest, if I were adcom at HYS the simple act of doing this would DQ you forever and always. Your only real hope is withdrawing the application and hoping that no one ever looks at it.
People make mistakes and after doing half a dozen or more applications, 'previewing' it after the second one is just whatever.

OP, just call them up. This is almost surely not a big deal and it just feels that way in the moment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”